Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't display all images in IE6

Status
Not open for further replies.

S7eve

Technical User
Sep 2, 2001
US
I recently installed a trial version of Tenebril's Ghostsurf. When I unistalled it, it seems to have permenently damages IE6 as some images are replaced by the red 'X' placeholder. No specific image type is affected, it seems random and only on certain sites (particuarly Google News).

I re-intsalled Ghostsurf and when it is running the problem goes away but as soon as I disable it or uninstall it the problem returns.

I have tried following Tenebril's advice from their website but it makes no difference.

I have also tried re-installing IE6 (having changed the registry setting recommended by Microsoft to force re-installation). This still had no effect.

I found some information on Hosts files causing similar problems but mine doesn't seem t obe any different from the original.

Does anyone have any suggestions as I really don't want to re-install XP from scratch.

Regards

Steve

Running Windows XP SP1 (with all current updates)

I joined this forum because it gave me the answer to this problems that I have bee nracking my brains our for too..
My hosts file looked fine also..I renamed it to hosts.sav and now the jpgs and gifs come in loud and clear..
Should not be but who am I to argue..this is Microsoft after all..
Try it..

Thanks for the reply but I've cracked it.

I have PC-cillin running its Web Trap filter which appears to have been causing the problem.

I still think GhostSurf triggered the problem as it never happened before but I can live without the Web Trap running.

Cheers

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back