Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Dial Local When adding the Area Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

msteeler

Technical User
Jan 29, 2003
US
Hello,

I'll try and explain this the best I can. We have a site that can dial local and long distance with no problem, but if they try and call a local number by dialing 8-1-area code-prefix-xxxx it rings once and says the call cannot be completed as dialed. You should be able to call a local number by dialing 8+xxx-xxxx or 8+1+xxx-xxxx, but I have one site cant. I was thinking it's a route pattern issue, but I'm not sure. We have about 8 sites all manged from one call manger with voice gateway routers at each location. Any ideas? Thanks

check the gateway and see what your sending out to the carrier when you dial out. try xxx-xxxx and xxx-xxx-xxxx some carriers require 10 digits all the time, some 7 depends on how the pri was setup.. assuming these are pri's. do you have more than one PRI on the gateway? is there a dedicated long distance t1 or pri?

It would be very unusual to dial local numbers with a "1" in front of the number, typically it would be 8 + 10 digits. You would have to have the correct programming to allow both options within the call manager and router.

This varies by locale. Here in Illinois (former SBC territory) we have to use 11 digit dialing for every phone call, local/toll/LD.

Thanks for the replies.

This location only has the one PRI for both LD and local. To dial LD for all our sites we have to dial 8+1+10 digits. For all the sites on our CM we can dial the employees 4 digit number but were using translations for that. For local at all our other sites you dial 8+7 digits but you could also dial 8+1+10 digits and get the same results.

This site is in Las Vegas where they are adding another area code next May. So even if the call is accross the street you will have to dial 10 digits. I'll turn debug on and see what is being sent.

So I just did a couple of test calls. If they dial 8+1+10 digits I see 1+10 digits. If they dial 8+10 digits all I see is 7 digits and the 7 digits are the area code (702+prefix+first number in their ex) so it's removing the last 3 digits of their number.

These are in the router....I'm think this is the issue

voice translation-rule 1
rule 1 /\(^XXX\)\(....\)/ /\2/
Note - the xxx is their prefix

voice translation-rule 2
rule 2 /^5.../ /702XXX\0/
Note - the XXX is the prefix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back