Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't dial extension internally or from main menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben979

Technical User
May 7, 2012
CA

I've been handed administration of our phone system, so I'm by no means an expert. I've searched the forums, read the docs, logged into my web interface, and have made some successful changes. Now I'm stuck, and I hope someone is willing to point me in the right direction.

I don't know a lot of the correct terminology either, so apologies in advance.

I have a CallPilot 100/150 (I'm not even sure which it is!). I had changed our main greeting to be driven by a custom call route (Press 1 for Bob, 2 for Sam, etc). However, we've just added enough people so this doesn't seem like a good option any more (I can't have more than 8 in the main selection, and I don't want to make sub-menus).

So, I've decided to go back to the way it was a 'while' ago, which is to dial the extension of the person, but for some reason this has stopped working. I hadn't noticed until now, so I'm not sure when/how it stopped.

(We don't call extension to extension - the office is small enough it's easier to yell :) ).

However, if I pick up a phone and dial an extension, I get "The number you have called could not be completed as dialed" which almost leads me to believe its trying to call an outside number?

Second, if I call the main number, I'm presented with the main menu (Press 1 for Bob, 2 for Sam, etc), but if I try to enter an extension, I get "One moment please. You have entered an invalid extension."

How do I get it back to where I can dial extensions internally, and that callers use extensions to reach people instead of the custom numbers?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

What type of phone system do you have? Also how many phones are on it, does not sound like many. Could you be dialing the wrong number of digits? ie calling 4 digit instead of 3 digit, or even 2 digit.

When you pick up a phone it is set to give you a line so you then need to press your intercom button - bottom right button - and then dial another extention. Also in the CP manager check in the greeting table 1 if at the top that Disable DN Dialing is not checked.

However, if I pick up a phone and dial an extension, I get "The number you have called could not be completed as dialed" which almost leads me to believe its trying to call an outside number?"

Check Hotline in Capabilities....sometimes a 9 is inserted for centrex type lines.
The drawback of programming Hotline is you may want to page or intercom others. The work around is to press the buttons (what you want to do) before picking up the handset.

Second, if I call the main number, I'm presented with the main menu (Press 1 for Bob, 2 for Sam, etc), but if I try to enter an extension, I get "One moment please. You have entered an invalid extension."

Agreed, Disabled DN's sometime invoked when trying to disable Tree instead.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

Thanks for the replies!

I have 8 total phones, most are T7208's, and one T7316e. I also have a speaker phone (Polycom).

When trying to dial extensions, I am using the intercom button. The extensions are 3 digit.

In my Greeting Table 1, there is no "Disable DN Dialing" setting. I posted an image of my Greeting Tables.

I also can't find a Hotline setting?

Under my "System Properties", I'm running Voice Mail Version 02.10.06.00, if that means anything.

http://www.mediafire.com/i/?0d113dgt4g6aa01
Interesting that you don't use Tree 1 for Table 1.

2.X is old and quirky...and did not have Disable DN.

Is the Tree 2 enabled in CCR setup page?

KSU (Phone system) programming:

Prime Line- under Sets/Line Access/Prime Line
This tells the phone which path to grab when handset is lifted
Choice are Intercom, Pool X, Specific line etc.

Hotline - under Sets/Capabilities/Hotline/External
This allow for specified digits to be dialed when handset is lifted.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

Yes, I'm using Tree 2, only because I was making changes to test. I created a new Tree 2 and eventually used it instead of Tree 1. Here is my current CCR page (link)

I don't understand your last section about KSU?

When we dial for an outside line, we just dial out, we don't use any other numbers as a prefix.

In the configuration settings for each subscriber mailbox there is a selection called "Outdial Type" and the selections available are None, Line, Pool, Route. All are currently set to None.

http://www.mediafire.com/i/?8o86hbhd8b3q26t
Tree says OK so that is good.

-Did you go into any system properties and alter anything? such as Gateway or Voice mail on/off.
-Lines told to answer table 1?

KSU - just the way your phones are programmed.
If you want to Intercom then best to press it before picking up the handset.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

There is also a selection under the "CCR Transfer Node Properties" for each configured key, called "Outdial Tyoe", and my choices here are "Line->>", "Pool->", "Route", and "Intercom". They are all set to "Intercom".

There was a DSP firmware A7 for DTMF issues on 2.X software, you may have triggered something that now requires the patch.

I strongly suggest to call local vendor and have them patch you to 3.1, test and go through all programming if still an issue after the upgrade.

We charge about $200.00 for the upgrade here in Toronto.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

Just for the heck of it have you tried a reboot? Power down and back up.

Thanks again for the suggestions, I really appreciate it.

I'll give the reboot a try later today, thanks.

As far as upgrading goes, what can be done with a S/W upgrade? Can I get more functionality, more voice mail boxes, etc?

Boxes you pay for via key codes.
You said you have CallPilot 100/150, actually its one or the other.
100 holds up to 40
150 holds up to 300

3.0/3.1 features as well a lot of fixes not mentioned.

31.10.36.22 is the last build/release.

Enhanced Call Center (call pilot 150 only).
The Enhanced Call Center will include the Reporting for CallCenter that
was developed for BCM 3.6.
This reporting provides a complete set of real time and historical reports.
– It also includes IPView soft board clients, and
– The drivers to support hard IP Wallboards
The hard Wallboards would have to be purchased separately

Downloadable Greetings
The Greetings Upload feature allows a specific type of file (.vbk file format) to be pre-recorded on a customer’s premise (e.g. using a PC). Greetings recorded in .wav file type have to be converted using the Call Pilot player and saved into a file type .vbk before importing to Call Pilot. Call Pilot Player is distributed as part of the Call Pilot Desktop Client software, it comes with the documentation CD.
Using Call Pilot Manager, the Call Pilot administrator can then upload the Greeting file to a specific Company Greeting Table on the Call Pilot

Park and Page from Mailbox
Mailbox Park and Page provides the ability for external callers to page a mailbox owner while listening to the owner’s personal greeting or while recording a message.
The caller invokes this capability by pressing the digit 6.
– When the caller presses 6, the system will park the call and page to paging zone, overhead paging system or both.
– The page will be repeated based on the mailbox configuration until the parked call is picked up or until the park timeout occurs at which point the caller is returned to the mailbox (personal greeting plays from the beginning).

Auto Attendant Time of Day Blocking
Based on time of day, Auto Attendant callers will be blocked from reaching extensions when dialing Directory Number’s (DN) and Name’s. The caller will be directed immediately to the associated mailbox as if the DN or Name dialed was busy

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

It is a CallPilot 100, I found some labels on it :) Thanks for that information. Is this a system that you would recommend to upgrade and expand and continue to use, or are there better options available?

I rebooted (unplug, re-plug). Now I'm confused. I don't recall if I tested this both ways before or if things have changed since I rebooted.

With the handset in the cradle, select Intercom, dial an extension, it works. With the handset OUT of the cradle, select Intercom, dial an extension, it doesn't work ("The number you have called ..." - trying to dial an outside number).

Is this normal behavior?

Second, and more strange, is that I tried to call in from outside, and the very FIRST time after the reboot it worked. It hasn't worked since, and I even rebooted a second time.

The instructions I have for checking VM from outside are call the main number, hit ** during the greeting, then enter your mbox number, then your password.

The one time that it worked, I'm sure the prompt asked for mailbox number and password, and I entered them all as one string of digits, and success! But I haven't had that prompt since.

Normal if Hotline is programmed per my second post.....it maybe dialing a carrier code such as 9.

Norstar (and Nortel) is End Of Life.
7.1 is last software version of the Norstar phone system
3.1 is the last software version of Call Pilot.

Upgrade is by far cheaper than a new system "We charge about $200.00 for the upgrade here in Toronto."

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back