Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't dial 911

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcdean

Technical User
Sep 20, 2005
US
We recently decide to change AC1 to 8 to prevent mistaken 911 calls.

I changed AC1 to 8, now I can't dial 911.

I have a SPN of 911 but still can't dial 911.

What am I missing?

Thank you in advance.

KCDEAN

This is BARS/NARS, You really should be careful before you create a bigger problem.

In short you could have created a Special Prefex Number (SPN 11) and told your switch to insert a 9 when 11 is Dialed.

In other words, when the Access Code of 9 is pressed you have access to Dial Tone, when the Special Prefex 11 is pressed 9 is inserted to route the Cal1 to 911.

Be Carefull

L.A.CityTech

I believe he changed from AC1=9 to AC1=8 to reduce the chance of misdials to the 911 center.

For example people dialing 9,1,1,212,555,1212

I am guessing he had (has) and SPN of 11 but "9" is gone

It is always someone hitting the 1 twice when making a LD call, then 911 answers and they hang up, bring the rescure squad to the site.

Fix

~

how is 911 programed in ld 90 and did you change ac1 to 9 and not ac 2? the problem doesn't sound right.. ac1 plus 911 worked, but now ac1 plus 911 doesn't? if you can post your ld 90 for 911 and the rlb that it points to we can look at it..

you are dialing 8,911 and that is blocked?

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

I only changed AC1 from 9 to 8. That was the only change I made.

Here's my info:

DMI 1
DEL 0
ISPN NO
INST 9
CTYP NPA

DMI 9
DEL 0
ISPN NO
CTYP NPA

-----------

SPN 11
RLI 5
SDRR NONE
ITEI NONE

SPN 911
RLI 4
SDRR NONE
ITEI NONE

------------

RLI 0
ENTR 0
LTER NO
ROUT 0
TOD 0 ON 1 ON 2 ON 3 ON
4 ON 5 ON 6 ON 7 ON
VNS NO
CNV NO
EXP NO
FRL 1
DMI 9
FCI 0
SBOC NRR
IDBB DBA
IOHQ NO
OHQ NO
CBQ NO

ISET 0
NALT 5
MFRL 0
OVLL 0

RLI 4
ENTR 0
LTER NO
ROUT 0
TOD 0 ON 1 ON 2 ON 3 ON
4 ON 5 ON 6 ON 7 ON
VNS NO
CNV NO
EXP NO
FRL 2
DMI 9
FCI 0
SBOC NRR
IDBB DBA
IOHQ NO
OHQ NO
CBQ NO

ISET 0
NALT 5
MFRL 0
OVLL 0

RLI 5
ENTR 0
LTER NO
ROUT 0
TOD 0 ON 1 ON 2 ON 3 ON
4 ON 5 ON 6 ON 7 ON
VNS NO
CNV NO
EXP NO
FRL 0
DMI 1
FCI 0
SBOC NRR
IDBB DBA
IOHQ NO
OHQ NO
CBQ NO

ISET 0
NALT 5
MFRL 0
OVLL 0

---------

because 9 is not the ac1 code, that will not work.. how do you want to dial 911? 911 8,911 or 811? right now 811 will go to 911 operator..

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

We would like to just be able to dail 911.

What do I have to do?

Thanks,

Dean

Do you have an ESA block built? It would be in LD 24,
PRT
TYPE: ESA

If you have an ESA block built, it bypasses the BARS programming. If you have an ESA block, you do not have build 911, 11, or any combination in BARS. However, if you don't and you don't have the ESA package, it needs to go through bars.

Since you have made AC1 an 8, dialing 9 on your system will give a reorder tone, You can build 9 as an AC2 and then put one SPN in AC2 for 11 and have a DMI table to put the 9 back in.

But doesn't this defeat the purpose of changing your AC1 to 8? I had to do this for a customer just last week and then was asked to let them dial just "911" also.

because you changed ac 1 to an 8, the switch has no idea of what to do with the 9..

ld 20
prt
ludn

needs to show 9 as a vacant number, go to 87,
new
cdp
dsc

make the frl 0 and the rlb 0

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

The way you have it programmed now, you would need to dial 8911

kcdean (TechnicalUser) 24 Jul 06 10:30
We would like to just be able to dail 911.

What do I have to do?

Thanks,

Dean

Dean, my friend, if you want to be able to dial "911" then changing AC1 to 8 did nothing to prevent mistaken 911 calls.

I strongly suggest making AC1=9 - then use the method on the link I posted before to circumvent the misdials.

I'd gladly consult for free if it is your seniors that need an expert opinion. See the CoilCord.com logo at GHTROUT.com - as it says "Often free"

~

Why can't you just dial 8911 or 9911?

With all the talk about 911 misdials I've seen so far, I'm almost starting to think Nortel should just release an update to forcefully restrict it to AC1 and then 911.

That happens to be a "law" in some areas that people have to be able to dial "911" in the event there are visitors in the building that don't know what AC1 is. When I have made systems that can only dial AC1 + 911, I have always had to have them sign a release form that says they understand they are not complying with this.

That is also the reason why if you enable ESA, it bypasses BARS and AC1 +911 will go out or just 911 will go out.

However, I also have a customer that the local telephone company has some additional programming on their PRI span where if it detects a dial string of 91 and then it times out, it will automatically go to the 911 dispatch center. The thought process is that if someone were in trouble, they couldn't dial the entire 911 string.

anyone can program a switch to allow ac1+911 or 911.. i've never heard of a law on the books, much less anyone forcing the issue.. what does force the issue is, if someone can't reach 911, then the lawsuit would be part of the cure.. if 911 misdials are a problem i would recogmend the enhanced 911 package.. dial 911 and it alerts an internal station, sends the dn/tn of the set and calls 911.. by doing that you can find out who is dialing 911 and break his dialing finger

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Unfortunately, even with ESA or enhanced 911, the call still gets to the 911 dispatch center, and the ambulance and cops still wind up at the door step. And in the state that I am in, even calling the 911 center back after the initial call and telling them to disregard the previous call doesn't work. They come out because they want to be sure no one is holding a gun to your head.

Actually, there is a law/statute about it, even when you take the Nortel classes for ESA routing, they also tell you that you "need" to do this by default for legal reasons. No one has ever pushed the issue, but if someone can't get to 911, I don't want to be the vendor that programmed it and can't get the call out just to prove the point.

To work around this, I have programmed 911 to do a local termination to a security desk, but you have to be sure that the security desk is staffed 24 x 7. This is about the only solution that really works.

i don't doubt that at all, i went to routing (bars) class back in the mid 80's and taught networking (pri install plus bars) in the early 90's.. i've worked at large plants that sends 911 to there internal security, with enhanced 911 active..
the call still gets to the 911 dispatch center

if the customer has an internal dept that can handle that, i have sent the calls there.. ambulance service and flight for life service are in this building.. 9,911 does go to 911 dispatch, an alarm hits security.. 911 goes to internal security.. 7 by 24.. legal ok'ed that routing

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

More directed to John and those working in a healthcare facility.

I worked in a Children's hospital that was physically connected to a medical college to the north and a gernal hospital to the south. We shared the same ER entrance.

You dial 911, the rescue squad came, just as if we were a widget factory or a bank. Oh yes, we called a code and 20 or so physicians and/or nurses may come to the scene and revive or otherwise do what comes natually.

But when the rescue squad arrived from the fire dept a mile away, they were in charge - no questions even from the surgeons.

~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back