Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't delete on mounted volume (but can using drive letter) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ireneshusband

Technical User
Dec 14, 2003
CA
I have been trying to mount disk partitions as mounted volumes in Win XP Pro, i.e. I am trying to mount them as folders within my system volume (drive c:).

The trouble is that when I do this I cannot delete any files from the mounted volumes. Strangely enough though, I can delete the same files if I access them by burrowing down from their drive letter in the My Computer window. It seems that I both have and don't have permission to delete the same files, depending on which path I use to get to them. I have the same problem with folders symlinked through NTFS junctions. I don not have any problem creating files or renaming them.

I have tried everything I can think of (both as a normal user and as an administrator) to grant every conceivable kind of permission to every user and my machine is now a complete security nightmare, but I just can't delete files on my mounted volumes.

Any ideas?
Thanks

I've just solved my own problem.

My problem I discovered was actually to do with folders only and did not occur with other files. explains that it is due to a bug in Windows by which the recycle bin cannot understand mounted volumes. The solution is to permanently delete the file directly using SHI(f)T-DELETE.

Not a nice workaround, but there you go.

Invent your own Recycle bin on your Mounted Drive as a normal folder and "move" your soon to be deleted files there until you are ready to delete them permanently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back