Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't delete my .ldb file

Status
Not open for further replies.

natatbh

Programmer
Dec 18, 2002
US
Hi all,

I am trying to delete an .ldb file. None of the db's associated with this .ldb are open and I still just can't delete it. I get the error "The source or destination file may be in use". any sollutions, please help.

Thanks natatbh.

run task manager and search processes for an orphaned msaccess process. If there is one there then you can kill the process and then try again to delete the .ldb file. If there is not one there then you will likely have to reboot to clear the lock. Sometimes it helps to open the associated .mdb file and then close it. After closing it then try to delete the .ldb file again. hth!

Thanks wtmckown,

I know this sounds weird but I already checked task manager and there is no msaccess process at all in there. I also tried to reopen the DB and close it again and then delete the .ldb but to no avail. I then rebooted the machine only to find that
same .ldb is just sitting there like a dead piece of wood. Any more suggestions, please help.

natatbh.

natatbh,

try cuting the shortcut and pasting it to your desktop
then delete it from there

hi cghoga,

Which shortcut are you talking about. Can you please explain what your'e trying to tell me.

thanks natatbh

I think he meant "copy your MDB and LDB files, then delete the COPY of your LDB file". Then you can get into (the copy of) your MDB that you wanted to.

I think the best answer is above--your computer is using the file, only you don't know how. Reboot and it will fix this problem (if this is the problem).

If you're accessing these files over a network, it could be your file server will take some time to release the file. I don't know too much about this sort of thing, but it has happened to me on several occasions. I wish I knew the details of this type of problem.

Thanks all of you guys,

I know that it looks like my comuter is using the file but I checked and double checked. There is no msaccess process running on the machine. I rebooted twice. But to no avail. I feel like just grabbing that dead piece of .ldb out of my screen with my bear hands and dumping it in the bin.

Any pros please help

natatbh.

hi foolio,

Yes I am accessing the files over a network.

natatbh,

There are two possibilities then:

1. Someone else has the database open.

2. No one else has the database open, but the file server THINKS you have it open. It will continue to do so until it is reset, probably at the end of the day.

I'd recommend you call your help desk equivalent. This is not (necessarily) an Access-specific problem--just explain that you can't get the file open because it says someone else is using it. They'll be able to help; I forget how, but they will.

Thanks lots foolio12. I'll let you know whats goin on.

natatbh

You can open the ldb file in notepad and it shows who has the file open (by computer name).

Also, if you are accessing the database on a network, your network administrator can look in the server and see who has the file open. He/she can "close the resource" from the file server. No need to reboot or reset the server. Then delete the ldb if it didn't disappear after the administrator closed the resource.

Good Luck!

"Knowledge is Power . . . Computers are Power Tools"

I ended up copying the db to another location and then went to the server and deleted the .ldb and the .mdb. I then rebooted the machine and copied the .mdb back to it's original location.
It seems to have helped even though it wouldn't have been my first choice. I'll let you guys know if there's any more problems. Anyway, thanks to all of you great guys out there.

A small group of determined men can do more than thousands of individuals.

natatbh,

What is the .ldb? Is it the file with type of file description:
Access.LockFile.9 ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back