Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't delete illustrator files...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyritz

Technical User
Nov 21, 2003
I'm using Illustrator 10 on a G5 using OS X.3. The files I'm working on are kept on a server.

Often if I want to "Save As" and replace an old version of the file, the Mac tells me the file is in use, and can't be replaced.

Even if illustrator is closed and I try to drag the file's icon from the server to the trash (which in OSX deletes it immediately), I get the same error - file is in use, cannot erase.

The only solution I've found is to go to one of our G4s running OS9 and drag the file in the trash. I still can't get rid of it - it stays there in the trashcan - but at least its out of our working folders so no one will use the old file by mistake.

This is really frustrating - any suggestions?

ALSO: When I go to open a file from within Illustrator, I can see in the "Open File" window that the server is littered with AI TEMP files - which also can't be thrown away.

---/---
Nathan Pyritz

Create a dummy file with same name, save in a different directory, move it to the same as the untrashable file so it asks to replace it, once you do it can be deleted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back