Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can't delete files in the recycle bin

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcfd

IS-IT--Management
Feb 4, 2003
GB
Help

i'm having trouble with deleting file from my recycle bin, the error i get is "can not delete dc10, it is being used by another program" exit all programs and try again" i've done that and i still can't empty the recycle bin, i've tried disk clean and still no luck.

cheers
Jim

Have you tried booting in safe mode and deleting it from there? Pressing F8 while booting - as the first post screen is finishing - should give you the chance to get into safe mode.

Kim.

Many thanks for the replies , i tried savemode no luck.
thanks bcastner i will try the links you posted but how do i find the recycle bin in XP i know in 98SE from the command promt it was easy to find not sure about XP?

cheers
Jim

Make certain that under Windows Explorer (not IE), Tools, Folder Options, View, that you check to show all hidden system files and folders, and uncheck to hide file extensions.

Then, with Explorer, look for RECYCLER or similarly named folders under c:\ (your antivirus program could well have renamed the actual folder)

I'm having lots of trouble finding the recycle bin i've looked everwhere

Jim

I have four partitions on XP Pro. I have a folder called "recycled" on each partition, viewable with Windows Explorer. Am using Norton Systemworks (which renamed the recycle bin on the desktop only).

Can you tell me something about the file you deleted. sounds like it was in another folder that you copyed it form that is a protected file. Try restoring from recycle bin and then do search for it . If this is the case cut it back into original folder and delete from there

the files i am trying to delete are in my recycle bin and are all adobe illustrator files, the antivirus software we use is AVG, the recycle bin is named recycle bin on my desktop , what is strange is that if you log on as say admin the recycle bin is empty.

cheers
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back