Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't delete file

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamsoderqvist

Programmer
Sep 8, 2001
SE
Hi y'all,

A rather irritating problem: I can't delete a file. It's an mp3-file and when I try to delete it, or change file extension etc., I get the standard "Error deleting file or folder"-message, saying that another program might be using the file. Though there isn't such a program (and yes, I've restarted etc...). The problem has persisted for about a month!

Does anyone know why this happens and what to do? Is there a way to override the non-deleting function in Windows?

Thanx,

Adam

Try booting into Safe Mode and deleting from that avenue.

To go to Safe Mode press F8 before Windows starts...

Hope that helps,

Erik

Hi Adam

Maybe the file has the read only attribute set. Right click on it in explorer and click on properties and uncheck the box if it is set.

Alternatively, the account you are logged on with may not have sufficient rights to the file or folder in question. Try admin.

Jock

Hi,

Well the file isn't read-only and I'm the administrator so it should work. Also, other files of this kind is no problem deleting, so it's definately something with file itself. A weird thing occurd: when I right clicked the file the computer got hung up and the processor had to work 100%. This did'nt happen with other files right clicked! Could it be a virus?

Gonna try booting in safe mode as erikhertzel suggested!

The file is in use by something, it doesnt matter what. By switching into safe mode you will not have to worry about this. It may even show in your msconfig that something is utilizing it. it very well couuld be a virus. In the mean time, safe boot and delete it.

Tried safe mode, but still the same result! Is there another way purhaps..?

another way is to delete first all the files that are in the MP3 folder first, when you open windows explorer there are two columns the the left I liken to file cabinets so to speak and the right is the files that go into the folders that go into the cabinet. The read-only attributes disabled normally works, heres a question from the left field, did you use any sounds from that particular MP3 file to your sound scheme? Just a thought why it kept saying file in use
anyway cya
kelly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back