Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't delete file in NTFS volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

roban

Technical User
Aug 2, 2001
US
I cannot delete a file on C drive. I have tried all the usual ways to delete the file but get an error 'cannot find specified file, make sure....etc' I have been to M$ Knowledge base, googled it, safe mode yada yada yada. I have run all the spyware programs, sfc /scannow. I have tried everything even system restore and third party software including Moveonboot. Registry searches turn up nothing. This one is killing me.

if it weren't for flashbacks I'd have no memory at all

Well, if it has a "unique" filename, you can try:

Boot to Safe Mode Command Prompt

Assuming the filename is something like 12354 jiwyuor.lfj

... then do a

ATTRIB -h -s -r -a *.lfj
DEL *.lfj

... if it is NOT a unique filename, then it can be a little trickier.

Just my $.02

"In order to start solving a problem, one must first identify it's owner." --Me
--Greg

Problem is this is an empty folder that my XP Pro OS says does not exist so there is no suffix.

I cannot delete a file on C drive. I have tried ....

See how you are? You didn't say a FOLDER, you said a FILE. :)

Welll....... have you tried renaming the folder? I suppose if you can't delete it, you can't rename it either...

Well, still in safe mode dos, you could try

RD /S folderna*

(where folderna is the unique start of the folder name... you may want to do a DIR folderna* *FIRST* to make sure that it's only the ONE you're deleting!)

Just my $.02

"In order to start solving a problem, one must first identify it's owner." --Me
--Greg

Sounds like a good go. I'll try and...yep you're right I did say 'File' Thanks for the help.

Nope NG. Still system cannot find the specified...... I think this thing is in memory so I'll defrag memory and see what happens. I'll report back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back