Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't delete 2 files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have a problem with two files that I can't delete. The first one gives me a sharing violation error when I try to delete. I tried deleting from MS-DOS promp, same error. The second file has a HUGE file name with a ";" in it. When I try to delete or rename, I get an error saying something about the file name being invalid or too long even before the deletion confirmation message (I didn't even run the file yet). When I try to rename, same error.

Hi!

Your file , that you can not delete , possible, locates on a volume , that is mapped to a folder. Microsoft Recycle Bin does NOT support such a configuration. (it is a Microsoft approved BUG) . To workaround : select a file, push and hold a Shift and press Delete. The file will be permanently deleted. :(

MCSE(W2k)

Log off then log back on, and they should be deletable then.

If not try moving them to a folder you create on the desktop ... then delete the folder.

What does logging on and off have to do with errors? I have restarted my system countless times after getting the files...

" a sharing violation error when I try to delete. "

Is what made me think you needed to log off ... it works for me!

Did you try the MOVE/REMOVE trick?

what is the full UNC name of the file?

Have you tried booting the machine into safe mode and deleting the files?

Also, what other applications are being loaded at startup? Its possible that something else being loaded at startup is locking the files. Close any and all extra programs from your systray and try deleting again.

Finally, from the previous post, in your next reply, include the entire path to where the file is located in the directory structure. INcluding this information can point to which software program is holding the files open and or explain what type of file it is and why it cant be deleted.

Sharing violation: How do you boot in safe mode and how do you boot in normal mode afterwards?

Long name: What's the DOS del cmd?

To get to SAFE MODE most the time you hit F8 over and over when your system is about to start Windows, and you can then choose Safe Mode (choice 3) ... if you do not get there the first try, try several times, it is sometimes F5, or F1 or Delete combination ... TELL us your computers manufacturer and hopefully that will tell exactly HOW to get the choice to go to Safe Mode. After SM and a shutdown, your computer will boot normal again by itself. Otherwise Normal Boot is Choice 1 in the list.

What the other respondant wants is you to type the WHOLE name of the file completely including the ";" being in place ... that might tell if it is a virus payload.

Not to dissapoint you, but ONE time I had to format to a different FAT to remove a BAD file name from a virus that got errors like you are getting.

You didn't specify where these files came from. Sounds to me like your system was tagged - very common when running an FTP site and allowing write access to anonymous users.

Reply back if you haven't figured it out..i'll let a big-ole hacker's trick out of the bag for ya ;) pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back