Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't create remote connection using SQL Server Configuration Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibjohn

IS-IT--Management
Feb 8, 2007
US
Greetings....I am new to VS2008 and SQL Server Configuration Manager...I have created a DSN on my hosted website and now need to administer it with the Enterprise Manager which I gather from the posts I have read is now the SQL Server Configuration Manager. I cannot find documentation anywhere on the steps required to make a remote connection.

I am using Microsoft SQL Server 2005.absolute and trying to connect to a 2005 SQL server online.

I have the ip address of my online server. It's name. My username, password and dsn. I just can't figure out which window, form, screen, menu item, list item or whatever it is that I need to start the remote server connection registration process. All documentation I have discovered is incomplete. If it is in the faqs here, I have been unable to uncover it. Please help.

The link in one thread pointed to but the instructions don't seem to be complete. Hence my request for help.

Doesn't it just figure....

The answer to my question was bound to show up on it's own as soon as I posted a message for help.

To anyone else that has had this issue the resolution is as follows.

1. In Microsoft Sql Server Management Studio, in the Object Explorer click the Connect Menu

2. Click 'Database Engine'

3. In the Connect to Server dialogue insert the server ip address into the Server Name field.

4. Change Authentication to 'SQL Server Authentication'

5. Insert your user name and password.(from DSN entry)

6. Click connect.

Note:The DSN must already be created on the remote server.

It is a simple process. But if you don't know to input your ip address in place of the server name you will get no where.

Greater than the death of flesh, is the death of hope, the death of dreams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back