Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't copy games!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

biffo

Technical User
Dec 30, 2001
GB
Hi,

I am trying to copy games using Easy CD Creator. They copy fine and the game installs o.k but when I go to actually run it I get a message saying the the CDROM is incorrect and that I need to insert the correct the CD into the drive. Am I doing something wrong? Is it my software? Or, is it the games I am copying? I have tried copying Operation Flashpoint, Grand Prix 3 2000 Season and Need for Speed.

Thanks

I'm afraid you've just hit the copy protection mechanisms built-in to these products to prevent unauthorised copying!

It is annoying for those of us who wish to make a legitimate copy though. (if there can be such a thing....)
I would prefer to use a copy in the PC, keeping the original safe. Some of these games can be quite expensive, and a CD is easily cracked by dropping it - I know from bitter experience.
I do sympathise with the manufacturers though. My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my rather limited knowledge. Andy.

Try Clone CD it works good and has a 21 day trial.Be aware that if it has to crack the code to copy the CD it can take quite awhile anywhere up to 1/2 to 1 hour.
I do agree and usually try copying my own to make sure the originals dont get mucked up. With little kids around I have found the cd's covered in peanut butter and jam a few times.

ah, i've heard of a solution to this problem though..

copy the game cd, and then from your folder on your computer where the game is already installed, copy the .exe file onto a floppy. then when you want to play the game insert the copied cd and then insert the floppy with the .exe on it and run the .exe
i haven't actually tried this but a friend of mine says that it has worked for him on a couple of games....
good luck.

Perlnewbie, the problem I have is being unable to copy the CD at all - an error message is displayed and a useless CD-R results. I'll try the Clone CD route and see what happens. My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my rather limited knowledge. Andy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back