Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't copy files

Status
Not open for further replies.

brutus6294

Technical User
Aug 16, 2007
US
I'm trying to copy the C: drive of my laptop to a USB drive. I have stuff all over the place, so I was hoping to copy the whole drive over and I can search thru the USB drive for what I need if I need it...
However, I keep getting can't copy file - file may be in use by another user or process or something along those lines. I don't care about those files anyway. Is there a way to tell my copy to just skip over those files and continue on (instead of aborting with the error message?)

The easiest way would be to put your laptop hdd as a secondry in another laptop (you will need a special bay for this that goes in your cdrom slot) or buy a cheap usb caddy off ebay for you laptop hdd then plug this into a pc to copy the files over.... However,
What files you copying? Documents etc? Why do you need the whole of your c drive?

Hi, Brutus6294

The easiest way I know is via xcopy in a cmd window.

Assuming your hard drive is C: and your USB is G:

Open dos window
xcopy c:\*.* g:\ /e /c

The /e option copies subfolders, including empty ones
/c continues despite errors, such as file in use.

Jock

Dos lives!

sorry xcopy won't copy system files in use by the system
if you really want to copy the files use bartpe or knoppix live cd and copy them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back