Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't control log files!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kook04

Programmer
Jun 26, 2001
US
Hey all,

I'm having a problem with log files being generated that I don't necessarily want. In particular, in the /var/tmp directory, a bunch of files are being created, all starting with the letters "wsc". An example would be wscAAAig20s or something along those lines.

My question: where can I configure Solaris to stop creating these files? Thank you very much...
------
KJR

Hi. These seem to be records of logins by root and the like. Unless you're having problems, I don't see any problem with deleting them, keeping say the last week's worth. You can do this with a find command. If you need more details post back, though there are plenty of examples if you do a keyword search in the forum. Cheers.

Thanks Ken.

Well, I actually am having a problem. It seems these files grow rather large relatively quickly. Being that they are in a /tmp directory, I thought they would eventually go away, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Is there anyway to stop these files from being generated? Much appreciated.

------
KJR

may be easier to just set up a cron job to blow them away rather than find the source of them and stop it logging in the first place

I agree. On my system the files seem to be a record of what appears on the console screen (or would do on an old text console). If they are growing large quickly, you might like to have a look inside one for clues as to the type of messages being generated and sent to the console - this might give you a clue as to what process(es) is/are causing the messages, and if it's a problem, how to sort it. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back