Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't connect with Remote Desktop or VNC

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkirill

Technical User
Jun 15, 2002
US
I've got a couple new laptops running XP Pro SP2 that I can't connect to or from other workstations using RDC or Real VNC over the LAN. I'm admin and all user settings are typical. The funny thing is I can connect to and from these laptops from the Windows 2K3 servers. I've been all over the internet and here's what I've done:

- Netstat -a shows listening on 3389, 5800 and 5900
- the box is checked to "allow users to connect..."
- Terminal Service is on

RDC gives me this error:
"The client could not connect to the remote computer. Remote connections might not be enabled on the computer or the computer might be too busy..."

VNC gives me this error:
"Unable to connect to host: connection refused (10061)"

I just don't know where else to look. Any help or direction to look would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I'm curious about this, too. I had this problem on the 'inside' of my parent's network, but when I tried to connect remotely, everything worked just fine....

Turn off Window's firewall and try again.

Bo

Kentucky phone support-
"Mash the Kentrol key and hit scape."

My mistake. Should have mentioned earlier that the Windows firewall is turned off and disabled via group policy. No other firewall software installed.

Additional info: I can ping the laptop from the workstation (using computer name and IP), but cannot ping the workstation from the laptop. I have released and renewed till my fingers are sore. I have disabled AV software. Still nothing. It's just weird that the laptop will connect to the servers and some workstations, but not to others.

I'm at a real loss here...

I have the SAME ISSUE! I'm STUMPED. The correct ports are open on the wireless router. I can Remote Desktop in from any other PC outside of my wireless network. This worked fine until I upgraded to a Linksys Wireless A & G router & started using WAP Personal security thru it.
If I try to connect to the wired PC thru RDC from the wireless laptop, it will kill any connection to the router & the router & cable modem have to be powercycled. HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back