Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't connect to windows update site

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpyne

Technical User
Feb 24, 2002
US
I can't seem to connect to windows update site when I click on it all it does is send me to msn.com. I need to get updates if anybody knows of what might be the problem or another way to get to the update site please reply.

If you're using FireFox you may have problems.

MS likes you to use Internet Explorer

Can you get to it through Start ->Help & Support and select "Keep your computer up-to-date with Windows Update?

Cheers.

No I got this
Cannot display the page
The page you are trying to view has an incorrect address and cannot be displayed. Please try another page

Also a google search on
"can't connect to windows update site"
offers many things to try, viruses malware etc.

Sorry I can't offer more help

Have you seen if there is any redirection of the Windows Update site to MSN in your Hosts file?

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc is the location of the file, you open it via Notepad.

Are you using an Administrator user?

See if resetting IE7 back to defaults or not running with any Add-ons helps?
How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7

Try the suggestions here.

Windows Updates Fails After Upgrading to WindowsXP
thread779-1393612

If you know the number or details of any update you are chasing, you can search for, and download them here.

Windows Update Troubleshooter

How to troubleshoot Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server Update Services installation issues

if the Dial-A-Fix does not work, then try the following command (Start >> Run):

ipconfig /flushdns

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back