Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't connect to router after Windows ME to Win 2K upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

jungmc

Technical User
Oct 19, 2000
US
K6BV3+/66 motherboard
K6-2/500 cpu
196 mb RAM
GeForce 2 mx-400 video card
SB Live! Soundcard
Linksys LNE100TX v 4.1 NIC

I’m hoping someone will be able to point me in the right direction o this problem. The above system had windows ME installed on it, and it connected fine to the internet via a Linksys router, which in turn was connected to a Motorola cable modem. After a recent incursion of malicious spyware/adware, I decided to upgrade the system to Windows 2000. The hard drive was re-formatted, and a clean copy of Windows 2000 was installed. Install took a while, but moved along without any hiccups. Everything seemed to work ok, EXCEPT for the fact that even though the driver for the NIC card was installed, and it shows that the NIC is working fine, I can no longer connect to my router. Internet Explorer gives me the blank Server Not Found error when I try to connect.

Ipconfig gives me the nic card information, with a 169.245.XXX address, mask of 255.255.0.0, which tells me it’s not connecting to a DHCP server (ie my router). I’ve switched cables, I’ve reinstalled the NIC driver, I’ve connected directly to the cable modem, I’ve tried a different NIC card (realtek this time) but still no joy (also making sure to /renew each time I do these operations). Another pc is connected to the router, which connects fine to the internet, so ISP isn’t an issue. The router is NOT configured in any strange way, and should be dispensing IP’s to any PC connected to it.

So what else should I be looking at? Some sort of Service issue in Windows 2000 is not turned on maybe? I’m out of options. Please help!

bcastner-

Thank your for the link, I will try it when I return home from work. Looking over it briefly, however, I'm not sure if this FAQ applies to me. I didn't clean up an existing OS and lose my connectivity. I basically wiped out the entire system and reinstalled a new one from the ground up.
Regardless, I know you are a major contributor to these boards, and I thank you for your advice.

-Greg

I wrote the FAQ for the most common case. The WinsockFix utility cited works perfectly find for Win2k.

It is my strong believe you have a LSP - registry issue, no matter whether you ran a malware cleanup or not.

Use the utility and see how we far after a reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back