Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't connect to remote server

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnrBjotk

Technical User
Jun 29, 2010
NO

Hi
So I posted this about four months back, but as the problem seemed to solve itself, I never learned how to fix it.

There seems to be about a million threads for this around the web, yet NONE seem to offer any solution. So here goes:

I simply cannot connect to FTP.

Both dreamweaver and fetch refuse. Both claim wrong login info, which just ISN'T the case...

I'm a mac user. What could be blocking the traffic?

The only time I've had that issue in Dreamweaver is when the web server refused the connection due to the allocated space being all taken....not by me but another customer. A quick call and they found someone using the webserver to back up a cadzillion GB of stuff.
I would get a password/login error even though the info was right. Dreamweaver doesn't have an error that says "Sorry, some idiot has backed up this entire computer to the webserver and there is no more room left for your files"
I got the same error login error in CuteFTP too.
It does resolve itself because the webhost will either allocate more space to that server or dump the files causing the issue.
It has happened about five times in the past eight years and only once was the server down.

I could have been that, but I should have mentioned that this is only an issue with my MacBook Pro, my old MacBook connect with no issues.
So again, something is BLOCKING. But I don't know what settings it could be...

ahh hmmm Would you happen to have iWeb 09 on that machine?
Do you have VPN client software on the MacBook Pro?
What version of Dreamweaver?
What version of OS are you running...

I know they seem like random questions but I have found issues dealing with some of them.

mel

No iWeb
Dreamweaver 8, but both Fetch and Filezilla give the same reply
Lepoard.

What is VPN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back