Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CAN'T CONNECT TO NETWORK ON XP! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SanJo

MIS
Mar 9, 2004
US
Ok, heres the problem, I'm on a LAN between 4 people, including myself, we are all conected to a Linsys Router which is connected to DSL, now, I can't view ANY workgroups, or anyone's computer in "My Network Places," I've checked over everything and still don't know what the problem is, can someone please help me. Also, all of our IPs are dynamic as well as gateway, DNS, WINS, etc.

So, in essenece, How can i view and connect to other users on our network in my network places?

Make sure you are in the same workgroup and that you can ping each others machines if you can do that youve probably got to reinstall your LAN connection to that pc including workgroup selections etc.

Yes, I can ping the other machines successfully. Also when you say, "reinstall LAN connection," are talking about the Ethernet Adapter?

Also, under My Network Places, I can't see the "Entire Network" or "Microsoft Windows Network" icons.

Hi it sound like what I have here at the house. Make sure that each computer hae the same signon and passwords, Make sure that all the cmputer workgroups are the same,xp ike to change these on its own so you sometimes need to do it several times rebooting each time. Also the network wizard must be run and it also likes to change the workgroup name.

make sure that you have the correct protocals. 1.client for micrsoft networks, file and printer sharing, I also have nwkink netbios, tcp/ip . Try that and see

Under TCP/IP Properties, Advanced, WINS tab, enable Netbios over TCP/IP. Disable the use of LMHOSTS.

. Identical Workgroup name, unique computer names
. Something: drive, folder, printer, but something shared on all machines
. Be very careful there are no firewall issue, including "hidden" firewall components of some antivirus packages -- PC-Illan is notorious for this

In the properties for the LAN adapter; turn off 802.1p Support; In the TCP/IP properties for the LAN adapter - Advanced, set the 'Enable NetBios over TCP/IP' to on, not default.

Sanjo,

Your first message says you are all connected to the router. Your second message says you can ping the other PC's.

- Are you 'pinging' a Computername (e.g 'ping sanjo1') or 'pinging' an IP address?

- Can you, in 'My Network Connections', carry out a successful search for the other PC's using just the 'ComputerName', e.g. 'sanjo1'?

- Can you, in 'My Network Connections', carry out a successful search for the other PC's (albeit probably much slower) using just the IP address?

Ths will help work out whether this is a 'workgroup' issue or not.

Hope this helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back