Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't connect to My Network Place after a few minutes 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

norbl

Technical User
Jan 23, 2002
US
When I first boot, I can create a Network Place to a XP home machine in my workgroup, but after a few minutes I am unable to open the share. I get the message "you might not have permission to access this network resource".

I have workgroup (named MSHOME) with two XP Pro PC's and one XP Home PC. I am using a Netgear wireless/wired router as my access point and a Linksys wired router as a hub/switch. (DHCP server is turned off on the Linksys.) All machines show up in Attached Devices in the Netgear router settings.

I have NetBIOS over TCP/IP turned on all machines.

I have simple fire sharing turned on because of the presence of the XP Home machine.

I can ping the XP Home machine but not the other XP Pro machine. All PC's can access the internet. On the Netgear router there is no blocking.

The other XP Pro machine uses wireless networking and can access the Internet but I am unable to see it in the workgroup.

I don't think it is silly because I had already done that.

Check to make sure that XP's firewall has not become active on any of the problem machines. Some anti virus scanning software have hidden firewalls included as part of the package, PC-Illan, for example, will install one by default.

If you were to type "hidden firewall" in the Advanced Search box of this forum it will throw up some similar threads to yours with many possible solutions.

I had a similar problem using all Netgear equipment and machines with XP Pro. My resolve was to set up accounts for all machines on the other machines and allow admin rights on each. Example:

ComputerName WorkGroup GuestAcct1 GuestAcct2 Rights

Laptop1 Home Laptop2 PC1 Admin
Laptop2 Home Laptop1 PC1 Admin
PC1 Home Laptop1 Laptop1 Admin

I did this for each machine and had success. I'm sure there's a better way, but it worked.

Krickles | 1.6180

I really was hoping not to have to set up accounts on each machine because I have autologon enabled.

At least one the XP Home machine, I can create a Network Place, and connect to it even though I can't see it in the workgroup. What I don't understand is why after 15 minutes or so I am no longer able to connect to it.

It ran the repair tools mentioned, too.

If I read your post correctly, the computer to which you are trying to connect via My Network Places is nto physically connected to your network, but is using a wireless network connection.

If this is correct, then make sure that you have have installed 'service pack 1', as this resolves a lot of known wireless networking issues.

Next, check the properties for the wireless networks. Locate a setting labeled 'enable IEEE 802.1x authentication' (I can't remember exactly where it is), and make sure it is disabled! If this option is enabled, you will loose your connection in approximately 3 minutes.

Also, check the configuration of your Linksys wireless router and make sure the wireless SSID is not something common (like the default 'linksys' SSID). Also make sure you are using at least 64-bit WEP security.

On the PC with the wireless network adaptor, check the Wireless Networking options of Windows XP, and make sure that the SSID of your router is listed in the 'preferred networks' list, and that 'always connect to prefered networks' is enabled.

Let us know if any of this works for you.

I suspect that your wireless network's SSID is the default 'linksys' and that you have not enabled WEP security, and that another unsecured wireless access point is nearby. This could result in the PC having internet access via the other access point, and not your network. But then it's only a guess.

- James.

Thanks I will check that. Is the 'enable IEEE 802.1x authentication' a problem for the PC's connected via hard wiring? I see that it is enabled on those, too. As far as my wireless settings are concerned, they exceed what you mentioned.

Wouldn't the 'enable IEEE 802.1x authentication' you mentioned, keep all the PC's from having access to the Internet, too? There is no problem in that regard. It just seems like I lose the ability to browse the LAN after a few minutes.

One other thing, you can't disable the 801.1x authentication of the wireless network. I am using WPA-PSK, and the check mark for the 801.1x authentication is grayed out.

The other things about the wireless setup I was already doing.

Since this is affecting the wired clients, too, the problem is probably somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back