Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't connect to MSDE after installing SQL Server 2000 instance

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvanderjagt

IS-IT--Management
Nov 19, 2003
US
hi.

we had a MSDE instance running on a windows server 2003 for autodesk's vault. today i installed a different SQL Server 2000 instance on the server and now no one can connect to the vault MSDE instance even though the service is still running. any suggestions on how to connect to the vault?

thanks!

Any error messages in the errorlog for the MSDE instance?

Denny

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

unfortunately no. one tip i got was to try upgrading the MSDE instance to a SQL Server 2000 instance. any thoughts on this strategy?

Shouldn't matter. MSDE 7 should have no problems running with a SQL 2000 named instance. What does the errorlog for the MSDE instance show? Does it show the databases opening, and the server ready for connections? If you could post the last dozzen or so lines from the log that would be great. You might want to post the last dozzen or so lines from both logs, as well as anything from the system and application logs as well.

Denny

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back