Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Connect to Exchange Server from Outlook 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackps

Technical User
Jul 7, 2003
HK
Dear all
I had a strange problem today. According to the post earlier on saying "Can't Login to Win2k Professional", after i had run the setup again from win2k to repair the login problem, then i can login to the win2k now!

Now my user's outlook 2000 can't connect to my exchange server, so what i did is :
1. Go to control panel
2. open the mail icon
3. Inside the mail icon, i look at the properties of "Microsoft Exchange" setting
4. From the Microsoft Exchange Server i had put in my exchange server's name, then it prompts me a message saying:
"The name could not be resolved. Network problems are preventing connection to the MS Exchange Server Computer. Contact your system administrator if this conditions persists."
5. so i go to command prompt and ping my exchange server, it have response, i can ping my exchange server from it.
6. then i go back to the mail from control panel and test the connection again, see if it can contact the exchange server, but it still keep showing the same message!

That is very strange, i am able to ping my exchange server, but won't be able to add it from Mail icon inside control Panel!!!
Does anyone of you have this experience, if so , could you please give me a hand on this???

Thx alot

Jack

So you can ping your mailserver ip address, what about pinging it's name.

i can ping my exchange server from command prompt both using the ip address or computer name!

Change Domain to workgroup, reboot and rejoin domain again, maybe you are logged-in on a catched password especially you've reinstalled win2k pro.

Catch you later, time to go back home.

I had already done so, which disconnect the user's pc from domain, and then reboot the computer login as local administrator, then rejoin the domain again.
After all this, i tried again on the mail icon, it still tells me the same error message!

This is probably caused by missing RPC entries in the registry

ClientProtocols

The Client Protocols subkey is created when you install the operating system and the first network protocol, and it contains entries that determine the protocols that can be used by the client to connect to Exchange 2000. You can find this subkey in the following registry key on Microsoft Windows 2000 and Microsoft Windows XP:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Rpc\ClientProtocols
By default, ClientProtocols contains the following entries for TCP/IP:

String Value Name Value data
----------------------------------
ncacn_np rpcrt4.dll
ncacn_ip_tcp rpcrt4.dll
ncadg_ip_udp rpcrt4.dll
ncacn_http rpcrt4.dll

If any of these are missing they need to be added to the registry.

Do the following:
Run Regedit and locate the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Rpc\ClientProtocols

Verify that the above entries are correct.

If any values are missing, add the missing values. To do this, follow these steps:

On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click String Value. Type the name of the missing string value, and then press ENTER. Press ENTER again.

In the Edit String dialog box, type the missing value data in the Value data box, and then click OK.
Registry Editor.
Restart the computer.
Test Exchange 2000 connectivity.

If this does not help try this link which refers to article 325930 in MS KB

Dear all
Thx for all the help, specailly scquan, i had follow your instruction and found something quite strange.
As you said the subkey will be create when i first install the OS , but i had repair an OS, after that when i get in to the registry, i can't find the key "ClientProtocols" under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Rpc\", so what i did is just create a new key and all the strings.

Do you know why there is missing on the ClientProtocols key?

But anyway, thx for the help!

Jack

You could try a few things: Remove/Reinstall Outlook; Remove/Reinstall TCP/IP from the Win2000. Does this happen only to one user and that particular system?

Maybe I missed this but you haven't mentioned adding the server in Outlook Exchange settings as an IP address only. I know you can ping both name and IP but surely this is worth a go. Alternatively, try ipconfig /renew then try adding the name into the mail settings.

In reply to your question as to why it happened I can only put it down to corruption. My problem appeared after I had ghosted a clients machine during an upgrade various settings were lost among them wre the outlook settings.

None of the usual tricks worked i.e. specifying the ip address of the server rather than the name, re-installing outlook and TCP/IP.

Steve...

I've had this problem before. I found that if you
1. Remove the machine from the domain, then delete the domain account for the machine in server manager
2. Delete the TCP/IP stack from network properties.
3. Reboot
4. Re-install TCP/IP
5. Rejoin the domain, if possible using the same account as last time machine was joined.
6. Reboot.
This happens mainly but not exclusively with cloned machines.

and you verified that the mailbox name was correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back