Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't connect to Exchange 5.5 via ISP dial-up account...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technomann

IS-IT--Management
Sep 26, 2000
US
Users are able to connect to the Exchange 5.5 server while logged into the network at the office, but for some strange reason remote connectivity via ISP dial-up has suddenly become very difficult if not impossible-- for no apparent reason. We are running a Cisco PIX firewall on a DSL connection from our ISP. Remote connectivity has been fine in the past, but now users constantly get ther error message that the Exchange server is unavailable when attempting remote, dial-up access using Outlook. Authentication problem? Connectivity problem? Why now all of a sudden? Does anyone have any ideas on how to troubleshoot this problem? HELP! [sig][/sig]

I too have not figured this out. I use to be able to access my account from home using outlook express. Then we started having intermittent problems connecting. Now there is just no connection at all. If you figure this thing out, let me know also. [sig][/sig]

For Outlook, there are a couple of things you may want to try.

In the properties of the Exchange Server Service, instead of using the Exchange server name..try using the IP address. You may also want to increase the timeout value.

If changing the name to IP works, I would say there are problems with name resolution. If the timeout increase works, the problems may lie with bandwidth / traffic.

Depending on the client OS, you may want to try upgrading the Winsock components. Although, I have heard that Winsock2's overhead has been known to cause in connecting to Exchange.
[sig]<p>Doug<br><a href=mailto:dxd_2000@yahoo.com>dxd_2000@yahoo.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> [/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back