Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't connect switch to modem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sac9829

Technical User
Nov 1, 2007
Hi

I have a modem problem as I have deceided to upgrade my current Open Networking 621 modem so that more the one computer can use the internet at a time.

I have tried connecting a dlink 5 port switch so that I can simply plug the modem into this and then the computers into the switch. Everytime I do this it works for a minute and then disconnects. I did a bit of research and it looks like the modem and switch conflict with each other (I think because of their IP addresses).

So is their a way to change a setting in my modem so that it will work with the switch?

Did you mean this ROUTER?

You may wish to check to be sure you are in routed and not bridged mode and that NAPT is on. (only make changes with the ISP folks online)

No idea which D-Link you have but if it is this one, it has no IP address

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

ok wil try.

I have tried a different modem/router which has 4 ethernet ports on it so I can connect multiple computers and the modem has the DSL and PPP lights on and says that it is connected which I have confirmed with my ISP but I can't access any webpages or ping them from cmd.

Any ideas?

just to verify your connection.. do you have it this way:

phoneline---> router ---> computers ???

if yes, you have to check on the IP address of your computers. make sure that they are valid.

if your setup is like this:

phoneline --> modem --> router --> computers ,

you will need to set your modem to bridge mode.

hope this helps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back