Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't connect remotely

Status
Not open for further replies.

kramers

Programmer
May 10, 2004
US
I have a Windows 2003 Server with SQL Server 2000 installed. On the server itself I can create a DSN to connect to the localhost, but on any other machine I can't. I tried to telnet to 1433 from the command prompt but get no connection.

There are couple of things you can check. The most obvious ans posibly stupid question is "Have you check to see if the server is on the Network?" Can you ping other servers from your SQL Server?

Check the Client network utility on the server and make sure there is no alias created for that server.

Try to connect via named pipes. If you can then the problem is connecting via TCP. You can change to named pipes in the Client config options of your DSN

Check the Server Network utility TCP/IP Properties. Make sure it is listening on 1433.

Check your SQL Server error log for errors.

- Paul
- Database performance looks fine, it must be the Network!

The problem seems to be a network there's a goofy switch or firewall in the way.

That means the only way to fix a firewall issue is to contact the network team and have them dig a hole for you to communicate through.

Sorry we can't help you more than that.

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA
"No, no. Yes. No, I tried that. Yes, both ways. No, I don't know. No again. Are there any more questions?"
-- Xena, "Been There, Done That"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back