Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can't connect one machine to domain, 5171

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifegard2

IS-IT--Management
Mar 28, 2002
US
I'm setting up Windows 2003 Server and AD at a dentist office. So far, I've connected and joined four machines to the domain just dandy, the last one, number 5, is giving me grief.

From the troubled system, I can ping any machine on the LAN, I can browse the server, I can browse the web using DNS on the 2003 server. When I try and join the workstation to the domain, however, I get:

The Following error occurred validating the name “DOMAIN”.
The condition may be causes by a DNS lookup problem. For information about troubleshooting common DNS lookup problems, please see the following Microsoft website:

If I try the wizard, I get:
"The domain "DOMAIN" is either invalid or does not exist."

I have tried manually configuring the IP settings on the workstation, I've tried a different patch cable into a different switch on the LAN, I've rebooted the switch, I've renamed the workstation, and even done the hokie pokey, all to no avail.

The threads I've seen that have experieced this same scenario seem to have all been related to physical connection issues, 1000MB into a 10MB hub, locked switch, etc. None of that applies here. Any ideas?

The workstation is running Windows 2000 SP4. I suspect that for whatever reason, it's not connecting with DNS on the server, but all the other workstations play with the server's DNS just fine.

Help. Thanks!

Nope. The machine is able to connect to the network just fine, and everything functions OK, but the machine will not join the domain and they have to use local accounts to login to the machine. Since it is still able to serve its purpose without joining the domain, we left it alone. If you find anything, let me know.

I had a similar issue with certain workstations being unable to join the AD domain. On your 2003 DC, go to AD Users and Computers, go to computers, & check to see if there's an entry for your 5th workstation. If you've removed the 5th from the domain, the corresponding AD entry should be gone. If there is one, delete all listings for the 5th workstation. On the 5th workstation, completely un-join the domain(join WORKGROUP or something similar) reboot as directed, then try again to rejoin the domain. That should do it.
Our problem was that the AD record for the computer didn't quite match the physical computer (we replaced all our servers & started a new domian but reused one of the Win2k Pro machines) therefore the physical computer was denied access to the domain. Deleting the account, un-joining the domain, then rejoining it recreated the AD computer entry and fixed the "problem," allowing the problem computer to join the domain.

Let me know if that works...

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back