Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Configure Dial Up with Disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

csxkidd

Technical User
Apr 16, 2008
US
Hi,
A friend of mine is using Win98SE. His dial up service changed some things and he basically needs to manually set-up his dial up settings through the Internet Wizard.

When I go to the Internet Wizard to try and help him, it says that it needs to the Win98 disc to install some things. When I find the location of the disc and click on it in an attempt to install the correct application, it says that it can't find the correct file.

Basically, when I right click on the adaptor and go to properties, nothing is there. No internet protocol, no settings, no nothing.

I have the disc and can browse through the folders. Does anyone know the specific folders on the 98se disk to go to that will allow me to install the correct applications so that he can configure his internet settings, or is there some way that you can use the 98 disc to do a repair installation without formatting the hard drive?

It has been a while since I set up dial-up, but IIRC you can do it through my computer, dial-up networking.

Also through IE, tools, internet options, connections, setup.

Don't recall ever seeing specific file availability from the install CD.

You can do an over-the-top install and put the stuff in the same location to correct issues, but you may want to look into start, setting, control panel, add/remove programs, windows setup to get communications stuff installed.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Win98 will require the files from the CD to install the TCP and Microsoft Networking stuff everytime you make changes to the TCP stuff.
Are you sure the folder you are pointing it to has all of the Win98 cab files?

Is the Install Cd a Cd or just a folder on the hard drive?

As edfair suggests, running the installation over itself, will preserve all documents and installed programs, and would likely help fix the problem.

Also it should tell you which file its looking for form the CD. Usually its located on the root of the CD.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

He has the CD, and I have it here at my house now so I could look on it. So what you're saying is that I can install Win98 over itself from the CD and it will not format the drive and erase his data?

That's correct. But, you will have to reinstall any applications, games, etc. Office documents, pictures, music, and so forth will be where they are now.

Skip

I can't remember having to reload any programs. not saying that there aren't any that would need to be reloaded, just haven't run up against any.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Seems another person might benefit from this site:

I just found it when looking at another poster's question in this forum.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back