Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cant conect to internet with dsl

Status
Not open for further replies.

dicktttt

Technical User
Dec 3, 2003
US
We have an action tec modem/router with two computers connected.

On one computer the connection is fine.

On 2nd I can't connect. Here is what I have done.

Three times worked with Verizon tech for one hour each time, even their 'level 3' tech could not help.

Then I formated the C partition and reinstalled Win98.

Still no good.

So I deleted the c partition and remade it in FDISK. Then I again formated and reinstalled win98. No good. It can't find an address.

I have run spyware and virus programs.

Please help

Thanks

Dick

Bad cable? Formatting & reinstalling is a bit extreme, but if doesn't work on only 1 machine after all this, you should reconsider the order of your troubleshooting steps. Before worring about the ability to browse the web, make sure that network connectivity is working proplery between the 2 internal computers.

Smah

Thanks for your reply.

I also swapped the hard drives between computers.

Dr1 (drive 1) works (connects to dsl & internet) using cp2 (compuer 2) and dr2 still does not connect in cp1.

I feel this eliminates the Bios, Cable, MB etc., as the cause of the problem.

It must be somewhere on the dr2. And since I reformated and reinstalled, can we eliminate win98 and any virus or spyware?

Dick

There are still issues you need to deal with on the 98 and your browser.
In control panel, network, verify IP properties as either auto or different than other machine. I would assume auto.
Is the router portion set up as DHCP provider? If so, run command and then either ipconfig or winipcfg to see what ip addresses are provided. Particularly the default gateway.
You could find the default from the working machine.
Then at command prompt ping the gateway.
If no joy, ping localhost for address 127.0.0.1 then ping the 127.0.0.1 to verify internals.
I would assume that the router is still at factory settings which normally provide a range of ip addresses. But it is possible to set one to provide only one address and that would give this type of failure.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Edfair

Thanks for your advise

I went into the cpanel and clicked network but there is no IP properties? Only 2 tabs: configuration and identification.

Please explain next step.

Dick

Network components box below, highlight IP, click properties tab.

Ed Fair

ED
What do you mean;

'Network components box below, highlight IP, click properties tab'

Where is this box?

Also, I now get 'not enough memory available quit a program.'

But I just reinstalled and have min programs!

I am not using a network to connect the 2 computers.

They are connected to the same router. Was working fine for six months.

Dick

'Was working fine for six months.'

So did it suddenly stop working? Or did you have some issues, then loss of connection.

Are both machines win98?

When you say you swapped drives - are the machines similar enough to allow you to do this or did you also reinstall o/s again? And are you saying that the hard drive from the 'connecting' machine will connect if put in the 'non-connecting' machine? And if so, the opposite is also true (putting the hard drive from 'non-connecting' machine in 'connecting machine stops it connecting?) If this is true - suggest you run the drive manufacturer's diagnostic on the 'problem' drive.

When you reinstalled, you did of course reinstall all the drivers for hardware devices correctly?

wolluf

'Was working fine for six months.'So did it suddenly stop working?
YES
Are both machines win98?
YES
When you say you swapped drives - are the machines similar enough to allow you to do this
YES Almost identical Syntax-MB, AMD 1800 cpu, ATI vga and win98SE Both operate completely independently but are connected to the built in router of the Actiontec modem.
It worked fine for 5 months.

And are you saying that the hard drive from the 'connecting' machine will connect if put in the 'non-connecting' machine?
CORRECT
And if so, the opposite is also true (putting the hard drive from 'non-connecting' machine in 'connecting machine stops it connecting?)
EXACTLY THIS DRIVE STILL WILL NOT CONNECT
ALSO, THREE OTHER DRIVES WILL CONNECT IN EITHER COMPUTER.
JUST THIS ONE DRIVE IS THE PROBLEM. SEAGATE BARRACUDA 80GIG
IT WORKS FINE IN EVERY OTHER WAY.

If this is true - suggest you run the drive manufacturer's diagnostic on the 'problem' drive.
OK I GET THIS FORM THEIR WEB SITE?

When you reinstalled, you did of course reinstall all the drivers for hardware devices correctly
AS FAR AS I CAN TELL

Does this give you any ideas?

Dick

control panel , network should bring up a window with tabs at the top "configuration" and "identification" with a white box below with network components label and several items listed: client, network adapter, and protocol.
One of the protocols shuold be tcp/io and if you highlight it and click the properties button you should get a windown showing how the ip address is generated.

If you don't have anything in the metwork components box you need to install the network card, actually since it is on the board you just make sure it is enabled in the BIOS and then use the Syntax cd to install the drivers.

Ed Fair

Edfair

I just did as you said- ran the syntax cd and I am now able to connect.

Thanks!

However, I still have one more problen.

I have formated c:, reinstalled win98, have no programs open and I am getting 'not enough menory to run ...'

What now!! every minute another problem

Dick

Dick,

The 'not enough memory to run ...' error usually means not enough hard disk space for temporary files. This is a common problem following a re-install as loads of installers have just left their temporary files in place instead of cleaning up nicely afterwards.

The default folder for temporary files in Windows 9.x is C:\Windows\Temp. Delete everything inside the folder, not the folder itself, then re-boot.

I always re-direct temporary files to make cleaning easier and because I don't like my users having to wander around inside the Windows system folder (in case they delete the wrong files).

If you want to do this just create a folder called 'Temp' in the root of C: then add the following to autoexec.bat.

Code:
SET TEMP = C:\TEMP
SET TMP = C:\TEMP

After re-booting Windows will re-direct all temporary files to this folder instead of C:\Windows\Temp.

Hope this helps...

Rick998

I have at least 2 gig hd space avail on each drv.

Is there a seperate limitation on a temp folder?

Dick
PS your redirect idea is neat!

Yes, there's a system limitation on the amount of temporary files that can be kept track of. This is different from having free hard disk space. Have a look at for more info.

Note that you won't be able to delete any files that are in use so it's best to re-boot, then delete everything in the C:\Windows\Temp folder except for files (and any folders) with the current date.

Also, have a look at for a method of cleaning the temporary files folder clean automatically.

Alternatively, have a look at for a utility that will help you clean the files.

Hope this helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back