Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't completely empty Recycle Bin in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinker47

Instructor
Oct 19, 2002
GB
I got a new hard drive yesterday, running alongside my old one. For some reason, there are 7 files in the recycle bin which I cannot get rid of. The error message that comes up says

CANNOT DELETE *filename*. CANNOT FIND THE SPECIFIED FILE. MAKE SURE YOU SPECIFY THE CORRECT PATH AND FILENAME.

When I look in the recycle bin, there is nothing showing, so I think they are possibly corrupted files somewhere on the hard drive, but where? I have tried several ways of trying to get rid of these files, but nothing seems to work. I seem to recall that there is a way through the registry of deleting the recycle bin and re-establishing it on a reboot, but if this is the case, I have no idea how to do this. Can anyone help me with this or any other way of deleting these files please? I'm desperate to empty the recycle bin once and for all!!

This is not an uncommon problem with some of the computers my clients have and it happened once on my main system also...

While I'm not sure what caused the problems... on my own system, I had this occur when I removed a program one of a half dozen ways and apparantly chose the wrong method... Ie.. Removal via the program's uninstall, via the Add & Remove Programs in the Control Panel, via Symantec's CleanSweep, just deleting files and so on...

After which, when emptying my Recycle bin, I had the same problem... While you only mention the Recycle Bin... I also checked my Add & Remove Programs method and noticed that the program I attempted to remove was still listed and it too could not remove the remnants....

My solution was to search the Registry which can be done with a variety of tools... In case you aren't familiar... WinXP's Start Menu, 'Run' command, and then typing Regedit will get you in the Registry... then goto the Edit Menu and select Find (CTRL F will work also, if not in Edit menu), and search for all occurances of the program that you were unable to delete, and remove them. Result: the offending filename should then be removed from your Recycle Bin and Add & Remove Programs areas, and other places like the Start,Programs menu...

*** Note *** typical backup registry before editing reminder is in effect...

Another possibility, if you suspect that you may have chosen an incorrect method when initially deleting files... You might try undeleting files from Recycle Bin... and select 'Undelete' from offending programs menu listing if 'Uninstall' exists... Or try Add & Remove Programs method.... etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back