Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't communicate to linux server thru VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

kphu

MIS
May 30, 2002
US
I purchased a linksys befsx41 router that has VPN capability. Based on another thread (463-556776] Markku suggested to use SSH sentinel to create VPN. I used software as suggested and was able to create the connection.

My problem:
I can ping all workstations on their network using their ip address, I can't ping with their host name(don't care about this). I can't ping server either with ip address or host name. I can do a tracert to all workstations using ip address and it'll give me their host name. tracert on the linux server gives me a request time out. internal ip address of workstations are 192.168.1.100 thru 106 and server ip address is 192.168.1.125 not sure what the problem is.

All of the workstations on the network access the linux server via telnet to open up a database. All workstations on their network can ping the server's ip address 192.168.1.125. The server has a broadcast ip address of 192.168.1.255 and I can ping this broadcast ip address.

I've tried configuring forwarding on the router (disabled dhcp to do this). Opened port 23 to allow telnet to be passed to the server based on its ip address. All workstations are now on static ip.

My goal is to be able access the database remotely.

I suspect that the issue lies in the server. The server is Linux Red Hat 6.2

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken

First, check that there is no firewall rule on the linux box that would block it. Specifically, you may be enabling 'ping' from the local subnet (192.168.1.0) but not from the subnet the VPN client is on.

Another checking method is to see if the linux box has the appropriate routing table set up to return the packets to the VPN client. It may be that the pings are getting to the linux box but it doesn't know how to route the replies back to the VPN client.

Hi Norwich,

I appreciate your reply. I don't know much about linux so I've decided not to screw around with the server and instead to try to implement remote desktop management on one of the workstations.

Thanks,

ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back