Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cant clear some history items...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mora

IS-IT--Management
Apr 25, 2002
US
I clear my history and temp internet files and cookies once in a while, but I just cant's clear some items... when I press down the button on the address bar, nothin comes out, but I time something and it annoys me by dropping down all these sites I visited long time ago...how can I clear these addresses????

If you're using MS Internet Explorer (any latest version), just click on Tools on the menu bar, then click on Internet Options (or Options in older versions). On the window that pops up, under the General tab, there is a place to delete the Temporary Internet files and Clear the History (with the option of how many days you want to keep pages in the History window). Hope this helps.

Knack

Mora,

The ONLY way to clear that particular is by deleting the hidden index.dat file located at C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

You'll need to do it in DOS.

reghakr

reghakr

If I delete the index.dat file, will this impact my favorites?

Sorry to but in but I want to delete Index too ( which I just did in tempory Files ) but it is also in the Windows\cookies file and won't let me delete it!

I found a programme called HistoryKill 2001 That does all this for you. It is available from pc Magazine web site as shareware. I just did a search for "how to delete Index.DAT"
and a heap of things came up. Good luck from downunder Purd

It would be nice if Mora would reply and tell us if he/she has fixed this problem wouldn't it? Why are some people ungrateful when they recieve free help?

Visit this site. You will find a fantastic little program called Spider. It purges content.IE5.
I've been using it for quite a while now. It's totally free and totally effective. Saves you from going into DOS and manually deleting these unwanted files. I was taken aback by locations scanned by this proggie and even more so by the files it found. 'Tis worth it.

The other directory you might like to empty is c:\windows\Temp

Please Note: not all files are visible just by typing dir at the c:\windows\temp prompt. Weird but effective way to view and hence delete these pesky files, is to open up the directory in Windows Explorer. Keep explorer OPEN then open the same directory in DOS. In DOS, perform a dir search. If there are files in the temp dir, just type del *.*. When it asks you to confirm that all files will be deleted in that dir just say yes. If something remains after you've done this it is just a sub-directory. To delete any subdirectories in Temp, type deltree followed by the name of the directory.

S.O.S 1) MAKE SURE YOU ARE IN THE C:WINDOWS\TEMP dir. DO NOT perform a del *.* at any other prompt or you could be wiping out every file on your system.
S.O.S 2) Make sure you are not running any other programs when you do this. Any applications running at the time may actually be temporarily using a file within this directory. Attempting to delete files being used at the time would most likely crash your pc.

..If you're really keen on the topic, click on
Hope this helps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back