Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cant change XP key 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmg00

Technical User
Jun 3, 2006
MX
Hello, I recently bought an Acer Laptop with XP Pro installed. I didn't like the way Acer manages the partitions and the machine configuration, so I format and re-installed Windows. I used a key I got online, surely a pirated one, it didn't bother me much since I'd already paid for Windows with the purchase of the laptop. With the genuine validation program I cant no longer update, so I try to replace the pirated key with the one that came with the machine. The problem is Windows won´t let me change it. I used the Microsoft replacement key with no results and know its asking me to validate and when I insert my key it says its no valid.

How can I make my key work, without using Acer's recovery CD, which will erase all my data?. Obviously, Acer didn't supply me with a Windows CD so I could repair the install, just the recovery one.

I appreciate your help.

This mentions a program to just swap Product Keys.
Undo Upgrade?
thread779-934075

Changing your Product ID after installation
faq779-4300

HOW TO: Change the Product Key at the Time of Activation

Miss Your OS CDs? Me, Too!

Creating a Windows CD from a Recovery Disk

Some more info:

XP comes in four flavours... OEM, VLK, PRO, and Home, you can not use a OEM KEY on a PRO version, or any other, that is the reason why your KEY does not work...

But there is a non-official work around...

see:

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

There is also a corporate edition which will not accept a pro key.

Ok, so I need to reinstall XP, can I use another OEM disk (eg. from a Dell Lap) and it should accept my key?

@ricefd - CORPORATE = VLK (Volume Liscenced)... JFYI...

@fmq00 - it may or may not work, reasoning is that certain KEY ranges are reserved for certain OEM Partners, also there may be a build in checker on these OEM versions that will allow them to only operate on DELL's ie. and would not work on Fujitsu and vice versa, there are OEM versions out there that are not bound by this restriction, and a DELL key or Fujitsu Key may work on these...

the only way to find out is to try...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

BadBigBen,
I do remember that is the case with Dell's....Tried it once, and the Dell CD would not work on a "other" brand computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back