Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Change Video Resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

depawl

Technical User
Dec 13, 2004
This is an HP Pavillion 304b running XP Home SP2. After a recent move, the onboard video plug got damaged. I installed 2 different video cards ( 1 agp and 1 pci) and have the same problem with both. The video resolution appears to be set to 800 x 640, even though it says 1024 x 768. I can change the resolution settings (all of the various settings appear in control panel) but nothing changes on the desktop, it remains unchanged. Any ideas as to what may be going on?
Is this a problem related to the onboard video damage, or could it be something corrupted in XP, or perhaps a virus/spyware issue?
Thanks.

What modes (resolution) does you monitor support?

In the Display Properties dialog box, click the Settings tab.
Click the Advanced button.
Click the Adapter tab, and then click the List all modes button.
Select the resolution, color depth, and refresh rate that you want and click OK.

Screen resolution resets at startup
thread779-1274967

Cannot change display properties despite being logged in as an admin
thread779-645996

Linney:
Tried what you suggested. Same result. Tried several different settings, it tells me my settings have been changed, do I want to keep them? I click Yes and Apply, but nothing changes.
I've tried 2 different monitors, one of which I know supports higher resolutions, still get the same results.
Thanks.

Sounds like a corrupted driver issue. I would try un-installing the video drivers and re-installing them. This might be good time to go the manufacturer's web site and download the latest drivers for your video card.

Mike, The IT Guy.

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a veteran!

Mike:
I initially thought the same thing but the fact that two different video cards (1 pci and 1 agp) acted the same way made me thing otherwise. XP recognized both cards correctly and installed the native drivers. I guess it's worth a shot to try the manufacturer's drivers.

I have never used an AGP card, at least I don't think so. I have often seen settings in my Bios where you can select PCI or AGP, I just wonder whether you need to look at the Bios, and whether it is an either - or, but not both, situation that you are seeing?

Linney:
Yes, when I was using the AGP card, I had set the BIOS to AGP, and when using the pci, set the BIOS to pci.

Maybe when your onboard video plug got damaged, perhaps something internal and connected to that also took a shunt?

If updating drivers doesn't solve your woes try Safe Mode and VGA Mode just to see if anything looks strange via that.

And as I run out of ideas I'll leave you with the basics.

Some general things to try.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with Graphics.

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Select both boxes.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Any Bios updates available?

1.) deinstalling the drivers will not remove them from the OS, you will need something in the like of DriverCleaner...

2.) have you tried another monitor? seeing as you tried different cards, this leads me to think that the problem actually lies with the monitor... annotation: is the whole Desktop visible or only part of it?

3.) in the BIOS, is there a setting to turn off the internal Video? is it activated, or does the mobo autodetect AGP cards?

4.) I can't find any information as to the HP Pavillion 304b, except that it has an AMD processor (1800 /256), so in effect pretty ancient... this might be the time to upgrade, if budget constraints are a problem, then getting a used PC with better specs may be the option, they are relative cheap now a days...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Thanks to all who responded. I believe that Linney is correct in that when the onboard video plug got damaged, some additional damage to the motherboard was probably inflicted. Although there is no option in the BIOS to disable the onboard video, there is an option to set it to "pci", which I have done. Next I looked in device manager and 2 display adapters were listed, the pci and the onboard. And in Control Panel |Display Settings, there were 2 monitors and 2 video adapter listed (once again the pci and the onboard). Strangely enough, by changing the selection to the onboard adapter (which is no longer functional) I was able to change the display settings. I know, it makes no sense, which is why I believe that there must be some internal damage somewhere.
Will definitely consider an upgrade.
thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back