Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cant change the value of a field in a table !

Status
Not open for further replies.

siebel2002

Programmer
Oct 8, 2001
US
I have a table in my access db that my form is based on. When i open the table to manually set the value of a field I say, location of a particular employee), it lets me. I can close the table and reopen it and see the new value. But.... after closing the table, logging off the database and opening the db again, the changed value is not there! instead I see only the old, original value!!! What is happening? Any ideas? By the way, the db was designed by someone else.Thanks guys.

Hi

A guess, there is a 'master' copy of the table which is re-instated when the databse opens, amnd what you are changing is the 'working' version.

Without seeing the code in the database it can only be a guess

Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
Website needs upgrading, but for now - UK

Thank you Ken..Can you tell me how I can look for the hidden table? The code uses a recordset based on the table with the name, tblEmployess. If the master copy is hidden, how can the DB have 2 tables with the same name?

Thanks again

Hi

it does not have to be hidden, nor does it have to have the same name.

First thing to do is to look and see if there is an autoexec macro which executes on start up, if not is theer a start up form? look in the on open, or on load event to see if there is any code

and I did say it was a guess, I cannot be sure that is what is happening without seeing the application

Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
Website needs upgrading, but for now - UK

Thanks again Ken..
There is no autoexec.,..but there is a log on screen as the startup form..i have checked the code behind taht form and there is no mention of this table anywhere in the form module..It is a puzzle..

Have a great weekened!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back