Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Change/Remove programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

viciousdogs

Technical User
May 7, 2003
US
When I open Add or Remove Programs from the Control Panel and select the Change or Remove Programs option, the only application that shows the Change and Remove buttons is ZoneAlarm Pro 4.5. I have several other applications installed such as PaintShop Pro, Adobe Reader 6.0 etc that don't show the remove buttons.

Needless to say I'm trying to remove some software

My user account has full administrative rights, I've tried logging in as administrator, and I've tried logging into Windows in Safe mode with no luck

I'm running Windows XP Pro SP1 on a home network - workgroup mode, not domain.

Has anyone ever seen this? Any suggestions on how to fix it?

thanks

Hi,
This may or may not be related:
Not "all" installed programs will be listed in
Add/Remove. If you are looking for a particular MS program, check
here:

Tools/Folder Options/View/Show Hidden Files and Folders and Show
Extensions for known file types. Then go to Windows Explorer/Inf
Folder/Sysoc.inf (Double Click it).

You will find several lines that include the word 'hide'. Simply
remove the word 'hide'(but leave the comma). Save and exit. From there
you will be able to remove it from add/remove.

More detailed information here under A - Add and Remove

Looking for the best answers:
faq222-2244
Keeping your system clear of malware:
faq608-4650
Dont forget to post back with the eventual resolution.

I'll give this a try, but none of the applications I am having a problem with are MS apps.

>>This may or may not be related:
>>>>Not "all" installed programs will be listed in
>>Add/Remove. If you are looking for a particular MS >>program, check
>>here:

>>Tools/Folder Options/View/Show Hidden Files and Folders >>and Show
>>Extensions for known file types. Then go to Windows >>Explorer/Inf
>>Folder/Sysoc.inf (Double Click it).

I've go a very similar situation on a Windows 2000 server. As well as being unable to remove programs I'm also unable to install any new programs via teh add/remove programs option in Control Panel.

I'm also unable to apply the latest service pack. Even when the autorun.inf is enabled the service pack fails to install.

My only known resolution is a rebuild. Before I rebuild this server does anyone have an idea as to what's gone wrong ?

viciousdogs:
Hi,
Try this to eliminate possible causes:

How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP [Q310353]

There may be some other software that stops the programs being displayed....do you have adaware or ad watch installed?
I have seen this cause an issue.
acroniscornie:
You may have had a problem with either the windows installer package(it could have been corrupt)
Or the windows installer service may have been disabled.
You can check this by right clicking on my computer, manage, services.

Looking for the best answers:
faq222-2244
Keeping your system clear of malware:
faq608-4650
Dont forget to post back with the eventual resolution.

I have Spybot Search & Destroy installed. I'm going to try reinstalling it this evening to see if that restores the change/remove buttons.

I'm also going to try running msicuu.exe to clean things up.

Found out msicuu.exe isn't supposed to be used with Windows XP. I ended up restoring a recent Windows Restore point which appeared to fix the problems.

I still wish I knew what caused the problem so I can avoid it in the future.

There's a couple of viruses out that may be causing what you are seeing.

Gaobot - I fought with this one for a while when I had a machine that was infected. Windows installer service does not work, windows update looks like it works, but the updates fail to install, antivirus programs just mysteriously end without notice. If this sounds familiar, the only way that I found to clean it was to go to microtrend's website and use their online scanner "housecall". Most other scanners are in the virus' list of programs to kill.

Blaster - Most of us should know about this one, but it will definitely do some quirky thinks like messing up your add/remove programs screen. Not all machines will do the buffer overflow and shut down after 60 seconds so it may not be abvious that you have it. Check for msblast.exe in processes. If you have it, doing the latest Windows update and then running an up to date antivirus scan should fix it. There are a couple variants so you may have it again even if you did the very first Microsoft critical update that came out unless you did their new fix as well.

Hope that helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back