Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cant change region on my DVD 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nostradamus

Technical User
May 3, 2000
SE
I have a Asus v6800 (tv-out) and a pionner DVD (10x).
I use AsusDVD/WinDVD and PowerDVD as software.
At first I had 5 times to change my region until the changes became permanent. When I had 2 times left it suddenly locked on region 2 and I cant change back.

Is there some way to unlock my DVD?

Can there be some sort of hardware lock?

[sig]<p>Nostradamus<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br> [/sig]

some Drives are not region free, sometimes it's upto the Software, I remeber my drive, I've probally had the chance to change it hundreds of times even tho it said only 5 tries, (reason seems simple, I've reinstalled the drivers after formating the computer, and the lock is possibly in the registry) There used to be a good site that used to tell you how to remove Region locking on Different DVD-roms, they even showed how to do so on standalone players, cant remeber, some of the DVD-roms require some solder, some like mine, are region free in the hardware, but locked in the DVD Decoder card. Not sure what to say, you could try to contact the manufactuer. [sig]<p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.com>kb244@kb244.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>
[/sig]

I don't have a dvd-rom so please pardon the question, but what is &quot;region locking&quot; ? [sig]<p>Troy Williams B.Eng.<br><a href=mailto:fenris@hotmail.com>fenris@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> [/sig]

Region locking, affect both DVD-Roms, and Standalone DVDplayers(like on your TV) , any DVDs that are published, or produced, are encoded to a certain region, 1 being USA, 2 Being Europe (they'res about 7 Region codes) this prevents people from those regions from Importing DVDs say from the USA, before the movie even comes out in that country, also prevents illegal copies in some manners. PC-DVD(DVD-roms) are usally easy to fix, or some drives dont pose this problem with the proper &quot;hacked&quot; drivers or players.

also I found the URL I was talking about.

goto the PC-DVD link on your left side, it should point you to a wide variety of tools, and help ( but eh it does poses DVD Ripping tools, and such, and macromedia removers, but I find the region thing to be a common problem on innocent people ) [sig]<p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.com>kb244@kb244.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>
[/sig]

oh also here's a Direct Link to the RegionLocked page
It'll let you know if your region is locked in the hardware (which means you'll have much more troble changing)

see if your Pioneer 10X is on that list. [sig]<p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.com>kb244@kb244.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>
[/sig]

oh also I have a Creative Labs 5X

&quot;
Creative Labs Encore 5X 5241E 5X/32X IDE/ATAPI
&quot;

it's 100% Region free, it's why I went with the 5X and not the 6X [sig]<p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.com>kb244@kb244.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>
[/sig]

Thanks. Looks like my drive needs a firmware update.
You can also send your DVD-rom to Pioneer and they will unlock it free of charge (back to 5 times that is).

Are slot-in drives known for making annoying noise?
My sounds like a Boeing taking off and it doesn´t slow down either.

Karl. You know of any good stationary DVD-players? region-free that is :)

A tip to all you people who wants to buy a DVD-ROM.
Visit the link above and don´t think that programs like DVD-genie will fix you dvd-region. It doesn´t if the DVD is rather new. A pioneer of model 104S is definitly rpc-2. Don´t buy!

I will look around for you, find the region free ones, then pick out ones I think are good, or have gotten good review, there is one review on tomshardware.com , a DVD player they review (has a weird name like Janhagai) I think it's 100% region free, and has a built in AC3(meaning you can plug all 5.1 speakers to the back of it seperatly and not need a AC3 decoder, it has alot on it, the special thing about it, is that it cost less than 200$ (About 180$) so it's the most cost effective DVD player you'll find, but I dont know about it's performance as I've never owned one before, the guy mentions it on the Review.
[sig]<p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.com>kb244@kb244.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>
[/sig]

Nostradamus

here ya go:

it has a large list of manufactuers, and tells you region free solutions for all of those standalone players. [sig]<p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.com>kb244@kb244.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>
[/sig]

Karl, thanks for the information on region locking...... [sig]<p>Troy Williams B.Eng.<br><a href=mailto:fenris@hotmail.com>fenris@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> [/sig]

is now bookmarked. Nice features on that site. thanks for the tips.

Hi,
I have a Hitachi GD-5000 DVD player which has region locked itself. According to 7thZone my DVD player is definatly locked. Am i really resigned to a life of Region 2 discs forever?
Is there anyway of getting the drive unlocked.... please help.

Craig Beaumont
montybeau@hotmail.com

if the site said it's definitly locked for good, yer out of luck, and I would belive 7thzone too, because they wouldnt say it couldnt be unlocked, if they really meant it (they will even show you diagrams on soldering peices to unlock a dVD if that was even possible for some of them)

oh as far as Standalone DVD players go (I havent attempted unlocking, or checked) I have gotten a new one, and I think it totally rocks, its an
Onkyo DV-C601

I got it through Circuit City for about 399$, definitly worth it due to quality (ESPECIALLY if you use optical audio cables, and gold plated S-Video cables)

it doesnt play mp3s like some I've heard of, but it's certainly great as a dVD player. just so you know what I think of it.

Karl
kb244@kb244.com
Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)

Do a search for a piece of software called dvd-genie
It will solve all region blocking problem

DVDgenie is great when wanting to unlock dvd software. If the DVD-rom is locked its harder. I thought the Pioneer 105 was region locked (in hardware, dvdgenie don´t work) cause it said so on but it was just a matter of time before a new flash program came out.

Citrixengineer and Hanxxx: Thanks for the sites. They/It Rule! Nostradamus

Who knows the wisdom behind the 5 changes for regions. It's pretty stupid, IMO, to take away an end-users freedom to buy the DVDs they want in the language they want - surely that means that DVD manufacturers are potentially cutting the market for DVD media; ie multilingual people would not be able to play all of the DVDs they wanted.

Anyway, here's the link to your firmware - there are also utils on this site for checking your current settings :)

CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back