Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't change password in Outlook at login

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrahawk

Technical User
Dec 16, 2001
US
Hi,
I can open Outlook 2002 fine with my assigned login/password. But trying to change my password at the login screen does not work, Windows says it can't. I was told that my Outlook password is my Windows password, but I'm not sure what that means (I know that Outlook login names are Windows login names). Using my Windows 2000 password does not work either. The password that everyone in our office has is the same, which is why I'm trying to get them changed.

We just got Outlook. It was set up by our head office in another state who is administering our email with Exchange Server. Head office is using Windows 2000 Server, we are still on NT4 with W2k desktops.

Thanks for your help,
Peter

You also have to make sure that you have the correct permissions set on your PC in order to be able to change the password.

Where I work your logon to Outlook is the same as your windows logon to the domain and we encourage users to just do a CTRL-ALT-DEL and select change password if they want to change it. Most are setup as power users.

Thanks Bgauntt,

I don't think local permissions are the problem. We are a a small office and I set everyone as administrator.

I think I just have to wait to hear back from someone at head office and they have to reset passwords on their end with Exchange Server? We have just got set up with Outlook. A network engineer from head office set the same password for everyone to log in to Outlook (which is what I want to change before I show everyone how to use web mail).

Peter

Problem solved. I had to CONTROL-ALT-DELETE from my desktop to get the change password screen and then change domains from our local office one to that used by our head office.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back