Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't burn on the fly

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibpooh

Technical User
Nov 21, 2002
US
I have WindowsXP. I have tried to burn a cd on the fly and the computer is telling me that it is not possible with both CD-ROM and CD-RW on the same cable. This is the way my IDE cable are set up.
IDE goes from CD-ROM(master) to CD-RW (slave) to IDE2, and the second cable runs from the hard drive to IDE1. Also, my CD-ROM is a 52x and the burner is a 16x. Does the speed have anything to do with not being able to burn on the fly. I'm at a loss. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Lost

I have a DVD and CDRW on the same IDE cable. When copying a CD, I put it in the DVD drive. I don't burn "on-the-fly", instead the program makes an image file on the HD (from the DVD), then burns the image to the CDRW.

Howdy:

Change them around Make the cd-rw the master and the cd-rom the slave.. I burn on the fly regularly.. Works like a charm.. No need to copy an image to the hdd..

Murray

If you have a fairly new PC (under 18months old) 750+ processor and a burnproof writer (one with this new technology) comes with various names (safe burn, burn proof etc etc) you shouldn't have any problems burning "on the fly" even if the CDrom and writer are on the same IDE channel.
This configuration is the lesser of two evils (the other option is to put a rom device with the hard drive) and this isn't particularly desirable either.
Other options are to fit an additional PCI to IDE controller card which will give you extra IDE channels or buy a motherboard with added raid. Martin Please let members know if there advice has helped any.

Does it make a difference if speed of the CD-ROM is faster than CD-RW?
I will try your suggestions and see if they help. Thank you very much. All have been very helpful.

The burner will burn at 16x at times, and probably around 8-12x at other times. It will burn as fast as your CDROM drive can feed it. Even though it is a 52x drive, it's doesn't necessarily transfer at those speeds a majority of the time.

What software are you using? If it's Roxio, then there will be an option to use "Burnproof" on the record options screen (assuming your drive has it).

Also, see if you have DMA (Direct Memory Access) enabled for both CDROM drives. It could help significantly to enable it if it's not already. You can check in Device Manager under the hard disk controller properties.

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

The software I'm using is Nero. (I hope that is what you needed to know) I'm sorry I could not find anything about "burnproof." I did check DMA setting and they are enabled. I'm going to try some of the suggestions above and see if they help. Thanks to all that responded to my problem. I sincerely appreciate it.
Lost

If you put the CD on the primary slave and the CDRW on the secondary master it should work for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back