Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Burn CD's from XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 2, 2002
CA
My burner has been working. I could drag and drop files to the D: drive and then burn them.

Recently, I get an error that it can't write and the CDR may be defective. I've tried a number of CDr's and they give the same.

The strange part is, I have a utility that burns disks from iso images and it works fine, even with the CDR's that the XP write complains about.

I've tried with the IMAPI service on and off as was suggested in what info I could find. It makes no difference in either case.

I downloaded a burner program similar to NERO, and it tells me I have too many files for the size of the CDR, even if I only select 1 1Mb file to burn.

Any ideas what is causing this?

Thanks,

...Dave

Thanks,

I've been through all that and it hasn't helped. The drive works perfectly for reading CD's and there's no Troubleshooting items for writers.

I re-installed the drivers and that had no effect. Since it works from some programs and not others, I expect I've installed something that has caused a problem with Windows identifying what CD-R has been placed in the drive. It can't determine what free space is available, or is incorrectly determining the state of the drive.

I'll keep checking.

...Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back