Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't browse network

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMAN666

Vendor
May 13, 2002
CA
OK, here's the scoop.

I have 9 computers on a LAN conected to a swicth in turn is connected to a router which is connected to a cable modem. 7 of the computers are running ME the other 2 WIN 98.

And for the mother f%$#'n life of me i can't get the ME computers to browse the network. 98 computers browse fine over the whole network. In order to set access to the shared folders on the network I had to manually add them through the "Add Network Place" wizard and punch in their BNC addresses.

Every other networking capability (internet, file/printer sharing) works fine except for browseing the entire network.

I've hit the wall and prostrate myself at the foot of collective knowledge. Any help or pointers is greatly appreciated.

To make sure your MEs are member of the same workgroup, delete the Group name and re-type it.
Do you use a Bus or Star topology for your LAN?
If Bus, where are the MEs situated on the network. Are they all in one end of it?

Had the same problem-- error says, can't browse network. (Almost jumped out of the building).

turns out, I was not logging in as a user. I just press
cancel in trying to get into the workgroup.
So I logged in as one of the users and everything was
excellent.

Hope this helps.

roland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back