Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Browse Network - netstat shows looping back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brokenstick

Technical User
Jan 20, 2003
US
I have a small home network that was doing just fine until one computer crashed. I reinstalled W2K Pro, and now it can't see the network; occasionally, others can see me.

Using net stat,-n, I got the following:

TCP 127.00.0.1:1027 128.0.0.1:1029
TCP 127.00.0.1:1029 128.0.0.1:1027

It looks like it is looping back on itself. Any suggestions?

What do you get when you check your "ipconfig"?

How is your network configured? LAN with a server, peer-to-peer or what? If it's a LAN, make sure the workgroup name is set properly on the new install and then reboot all machines. Shut down all of them. Put the server back up first, then the workstations, or if it's peer oriented, restart the new install last. If you have changed the computer name, admin name, etc., you may need to add the new install account on the server. I don't have enough info from you to be more thorough, but I have had this problem in the past on my LAN, and shutting down all the PCs and restarting the server first, then the workstations often solved it. I don't know your configurations. Hope this is of some help. If not, be more specific about your "network". Good luck.
whythisagainwhythisagainwhythisagainwhythisagainwhythisagain

Thanks for your reply.

I get

IP Address: 192.168.1.101
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

The gateway is the iP address of the cable modem/router

That is strange . . . Let's back up. You say you "reinstalled Win2K Pro, I am assuming that this is on the machine that cannot see the other machines. I also assume that you are using DHCP. Do you have a router? Can you see the internet, but not the other machines on your subnet? Can you ping the gateway? Can you ping the other computers on your network? If you can ping them, but cannot browse to them, then it is a name resolution problem, or possibly a browser problem. Are there any significant events showing in the event viewer?

Thank you all. I THINK I have it resolved.
THERE IS A QUESTION AT THE END <LOL>

I am a firm believer that you have to DO something to make something go wrong, but this time ...

Anyway, I have had this machine on our network running W2K Pro. I had to reinstall, did so cleanly.
Previously, could see everyone, everyone oould see me. Nothing special in the TCP/IP setup properties.
We have cable modem/router/4port switch; the IP on it i1 192.168.1.1

I resolved the issue by: (1) assigning an IP address manually; (2) spcifying the IP address in the properties box; (3) specifying the IP address for the router as the gateway addresse; and (4) looking up the ISP's DNS servers and plugging them in.

1-3 let me see and connect to the other machines; 4 let me back onto the Internet. I say &quot;back&quot; because while this was going on, I had no trouble connecting to the Internet.

Now I wonder: Does the foregoing present a security risk?

First let me say, that is odd. DHCP should have worked . . . but who knows. One thing you could have tried also was &quot;ipconfig /release&quot;, and then &quot;ipconfig /renew&quot;.

In any case I am glad you got it working.

As to your question, &quot;Does the foregoing present a security risk?&quot;

I presume by that you mean giving your system a hard address. No it doesn't. It is a private address behind a router. Running behind a router gives you a measure of protection. It really doesn't matter whether you use dhcp or give it a static address.

When you have a public IP that is static, that can cause more security concerns than using dhcp.

Thank you again, very very much.
It is appreciated.
I am going to try the /release /renew , , ,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back