Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't browse Network Neighborhood anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

mistux

MIS
Mar 27, 2003
US
I have a small network of about 7 PC, some Win 98, 2000, XP Pro and XP Home.

I had to change our internal IP numbering from 198.x.x.x to 192.x.x.x (because I found out that 198 is not a public address...oops, my bad).

After I changed our DHCP and botted up all the PC, all but one worked. It was a Windows XP Home computer. This PC can see the Internet (using it right now) and it can ping all the other computers, but I can't connect to any previously mapped network drivers and when I try to browse the network (using View Workgroup Computers) I get:

"xxx is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available."

I have tried to remove all the protocals, clients and services from the Connection properties and then reinstall them (found otu you can remove the TCP/IP from an XP box) and that still did not work. The Client for Microsoft Networks is installed and set to: Windows Locator.

I have tried to use nbtstat to clear out and then reload the list of names, but that did not do it either.

I know nothing changed on this PC other then booting it back up and letting it get a new IP. So what gives??!!

Check your firewall settings. Likely you opened the ports for file and printer sharing for the orginal subnet, and not the new 192.168.xxx.xxx subnet

What does the new Network Diagnostic Tool for XP show?

Well, the firewall is off, but i have my suspicions that the Norton is still on some how, even though the only thing I can bring up is their virus protection manager, so even when logged in as admin, I can't find how to get to their firewall manager (If there is such a thing).

I will take a look at the MS tool and report back.

Can HOME see all the others if it is run from "Safe Mode with Networking", if so that might give you a clue or two?

The Firewall was the culprit.

I did not think it was on since it did not show up in the Norton configuration screen, I had to run a seperate Norton to get those settings. It did not have an icon in the icon tray, the only one that did was the Norton anti virus...go figure.

Anyway, I turned that off and then I could see the network.

Thanks!!

Don't surf without some firewall protection. Did you check to see if Hide inactive icons was set via the Taskbar Properties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back