Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't browse internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

newathis

Technical User
Jan 18, 2003
US
I just installed 2K from 98SE. Everyhting works fine except when I try to browse internet. I get my homepage but can't go any further. I just have a dial-up conncection. Does anyone have any advice?

Is this a single PC connected via modem? (No LAN, just dial-up.)

When you say you get to your home page, is it a page on the web, or local file on the PC? If it's on the web, you're on the internet. What are you doing to "browse"? Entering URL's in the address bar (if so, how are you entering the information), using a favorite entry, an external link from your desktop or document or home page? Try entering in the "Run" box from the "Start" button.

i have a single PC connected via a modem. I think that the home page is in cache and that is why I am able to view it. I have tried typing in the complete web address or clicking on a link on the homepage. But each time that I do it the next page comes up saying cannot view this page check internet settings. The really odd thing is that 98 is still on my computer and I am still able to connect to the internet and browse no problem. Any other advice?

Did you set up a new internet connection in 2K? Go to the Control Panel, select Network and Dial-up Connections and make a new connection. Make sure you make that connection the default connection, with a link to the desktop. Then try IE again with the new connection. You might need to reinstall IE. It tends to be prone to "issues". Make sure you always put the Microsoft security patches on it. Another idea: are you running behind a firewall? IE may be blocked by the firewall.
whythisagainwhythisagainwhythisagainwhythisagainwhythisagain

Can't browse the Internet: Some ISPs use a proxy server that prevent you from accessing the sites on the internet, other than their site. What ISP do you have? Have you input the settings that the ISP gave you, or have you run the software that they provided? Have you called your ISP for assistance? If so, what did they say?

Check your TCP/IP settings closely. You probably should be getting addresses automatically from your ISP. Also the "type of dial-up server" should more than likely be set to "PPP: Windows 95/98/NT4/2000, Internet". On our dial-up systems, the only component checked is TCP/IP. File/Print sharing is off as is Client for MS Networks.

And while you're looking at the properties, check the security optons.

Finally, make sure that Windows options is using that connection for internet access.

WW

Said by WindowWizard, "Check your TCP/IP settings closely."

Unless newatthis is somehow getting a cached page, if his TCP/IP settings were incorrect, wouldn't it be unlikely that he could even reach his ISP's Home page? Also, "Client for MS Networks", and "File & Print Sharing" shouldn't make any difference as to whether he can browse the network or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back