Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't browse DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkirros

IS-IT--Management
Feb 17, 2004
Windows 2000 Server DC (Active Directory) with about 40 workstations, mixed Win2K and WinXP. When browsing the network, the DC doesn't show up. I can ping the DC, either by name or IP address, and I can map a drive to the DC. As far as I can see, everything is set up correctly for DNS and WINS (handled by the DC) and DHCP (which is done by our router).

In what may or may not be a related item, roaming profiles (which are stored on the DC) are not working properly. There are no error messages being generated, but when users log in they're getting a local profile instead of the roaming profile.

Both of these problems are relatively recent. The only thing that has changed was setting up a VPN, and that was actually done several months before these problems surfaced. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

When you say that everything is set up correctly in DHCP, is the DC getting it's IP Address via DHCP? If so, I would assign a static address to it.

As far as the browsing problem, check the advanced TCP/IP properties, under the WINS tab and make sure NETBios over TCP/IP is enabled.

Also check the computer browser service is started.

The server has a static IP address assigned. NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled, and the browser service is started.

Why are you using wins? If everything is pre w2k, wins isn't needed. Wins is used for W98se and earlier. On a different thought, make sure all clients have browser service turned off, otherwise, the machines, even though they are not servers, will try and become master browsers. This will speed up your network.

Glen A. Johnson
If you like fun and sun, check out Tek-Tips Florida Forum

We're using WINS because we do have two computers running Win98SE. It's a long story having to do with some old software we haven't been able to replace yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back