Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't boot WIndows XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim58

Technical User
Feb 1, 2004
CA
I'm getting the message "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"

I've tried running Recovery Console and as soon as I press "r", I get a C>. At that point I can't even do a DIR.

Can I install XP over top of itself to at least salvage my documents, or am I toast with this system?

Sounds like a faulty hard disk. The error you're getting normally indicates a corrupt registry possibly caused by bad sectors on the disk.

I've had some success in the past by running "chkdsk /f" on the hard disk in question.

However, if you're having no luck with the recovery console, you'll need to boot from a recovery boot disk to gain access to your hard drive.

I'd recommend using BartPE from OR
And the end of all this, ensure your disk is healthy (replace if necessary) and virus free. You could clone the disk with Ghost or True Image or at

You could also get hold of a USB hard disk enclosure and put the problem disk into it. Take it to another Windows PC and plug in the USB cable. Windows should detect it as a removable disk and you can then copy your data.

In doing this, you could also run a 'chkdsk /f' on the removable disk therefore bypassing the need to have the recovery CD.

Download and run the drive manufacturer's diagnostic - most have them on their website. That will tell you status of drive (and may even be able to repair it, if not serious problem - yes, you have got hard drive problem of some sort).

If drive checks out ok, try using something like BartPE (mentioned above) to see if you can access the drive and to run chkdsk against it (I'm presuming you can't run chkdsk from recovery console - though you don't say).

If the drive checks out failing (and not repaired), slave to another system and see if you can access it. If accessible but can't read filestore, try a data recovery app (eg, getdataback) on it.

just had the same exact issue on a friend's machine last week. Booted to the windows repair commandline using xp cd, then did chkdsk /r - after reboot, all was well.

ktechit

If the drive isn't failing, and he can run commands from the recovery console, then it may be a relatively straightforward 'repair'. But he did say dir command wouldn't run in recovery console, and I've seen a number of cases where the drive is damaged, where it just goes to a C: prompt in recovery console (no ask for which installation) - and then nothing works in recovery console. Usually needs a data recovery operation to retrieve what the damaged drive will allow. Hopefully not the case here.

I should have mentioned that in my case, running chkdsk /r had to be done from the xp cd (d: drive in this case) - it would not run from c: as no command would run at the c: prompt.

Thanks for all the tips.

Here's my dilemma:

This is a Compaq Notebook, with no floppy drive.

When I boot from the XP CD & try to run Recovery, it leaves me at a C:> & I can't display DIR. I tried CHKDSK /R & get a message back telling me the disk is damaged.

I did download a product called NTFS Reader for DOS which allowed me to burn a Boot CD. With this I can boot the Notebook and see all my folders on the hard drive. NTFS Reader lets me copy documents only. If only I had something to copy them to. Being in DOS, I can't use a Memory Stick, USB Floppy Drive or USB (portable CD Writer).

I need something comparable to NTFS Reader for DOS, allowing me to boot from a CD and edit, add, delete on the Hard Drive

Again, thanks for your help

I would go with the UBCD4WIN, it is a boot Windows XP from CD so you can use a USB HD or USB stick to get your info off your hard drive, It also had data recover programs on it. I have had good luck useing SpinRite also. If you had system restore active you can also use Bert Pe or the ubcd4win CD to copy backup files from the system restore to get a system to boot.

Thanks Allteltec.

Unfornately, System Restore is not active, Recovery Console is no go.

I'll look into UBCD4WIN & SpinRite

Thanks again

This is what I would do.... go to a good computer store or online and buy a laptop 2.5-Inch to 3.5-Inch IDE Hard Drive Adapter Converter then after it is connected to a Windows XP or 2000 machine

Boot the PC and Run chkdsk (laptop drive letter:) /r then after it is done get all your critical data off the drive. if this still does not work your drive is on the verge of toast or is toast. you can try drive recovery software such as GetDataBack or send it to a lab

USB cable adapter converters work too but I prefer the IDE method

I would buy a new Drive if I were you and start fresh. If you don't have the Compag restore disks if I were you I would call them up and get them...

heat is the main killer of laptop harddrives and I recommend you have some type of laptop cooler...it really does save the headache of burned up harddrives. I recommend a USB backup drive too

stay away from the "NTFS Reader for DOS" its not really going to do much for you. at this point if you chose to leave the drive in the laptop and work that way. you need some form of a Windows XP Live! CD or Bart PE. This because you need to use a secondary USB harddrive to copy the data to and those boot type software usually are able to load and read the USB drives.

Would generally endorse firewolfrl's suggestions! Plus possibly running the drive manufacturer's diagnostic when you have the drive connected to PC (you can also create a bootable CD from the bootable floppy, using something like winimage to create image from the floppy then using something like nero to create bootable CD based on that image - so could still do it on the laptop - but if data recovery is important, that should come first - I wouldn't run chkdsk before attempting recovery, unless you can't access the drive at all, as sometimes with a damaged drive it makes matters worse - from a data recovery point of view).

good catch wolluf!
I brain farted and forgot that order of recovery....LOL

now if the I386 folder(it usually is in the root C: or Windows\) if it is easy to get...get it...
you can create a bootable windows install cd with it and that can be a later posted by me unless someone else posts the directions (which would be great!). Then you can download and install the drivers...
here is a good site
this method works great because you avoid all the advertisement and junk that compaq tosses in the restore

also you save the hassle of windows XP product key because you are using the key assigned to that computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back