Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't boot Win98 PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

pantichd

Programmer
Nov 12, 2002
US
Hello,

I have an AMD Athlon 950 PC running win98 that has decided to stop booting up :(

It wouldn't boot from the hard drive so I thought maybe I had a bad hard drive, virus or something like that so I tried a boot disk.

It gets to the point where it displays this message and then nothing happens:
"Searching for Boot Record from Floppy . . OK"

Can anyone offer any suggestions for what I can try next?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

gargouille - You're right, I did leave a few things out. It's been a frustrating experience.

A few months ago this same computer had problems and I traced them back to a bad power supply. I switched it out but I'm afraid that it might have done permanent damage.

At least that's what it sounded like based on the symptoms and what I was hearing on this board and from talking to others.

I did try booting w/o hard drive hooked up. Same result. I also tried hard drive in another pc with no problems.

I finally gave up and decided to try another motherboard because I was too frustrated to try other things.

As for the CPU running w/o a fan - I didn't let it run long. I'm sure I'd have fried it if I had. All I did was try and boot up. Right away I noticed that the cpu fan didn't work.

I tried connecting the fan to the system fan connection with same result. I went out and bought another fan, hooked it up and it worked.

THEN, when I booted up I started getting floppy disk (40) failures. After tracing that down it sounded like it was a bad cable so I tried a cable I knew was good and that didn't do the trick so I tried another floppy disk. Finally worked.

After that ordeal I'm just glad that the pc is up and running. When I have the time I'm going to try the old motherboard with another CPU and fan in another case and track down the real problem.

Is it possible to get a Lemon pc? : )

I feel like I got one here. I've had nothing but problems with it. That'll teach me to buy a prebuilt no-name-brand pc. From now on I'm building them myself from scratch. I did one like that earlier this year (my first time) and I've had great results with it.

Thanks ALL for your suggestions and feedback. Your help was really great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back