Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't boot up Windows 98 - display freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamott

Technical User
Aug 31, 2003
US
WIndows 98 won't boot - screen freezes; light on the monitor flashes. ctrl-alt-delete won-t interrupt.
THis started about 3 weeks ago - pc was working fine before that.
AMD K6 200 mhz chip, 256mb memory, win 98

I've:
reformatted the hard drive (twice)
reloaded windows 98 from CD. (twice)
(Never got through entire setup last time -)
gets to new hardware detected - display adapter -
then freezes - screen locks up.

I just tried replacing the (PCI) video/graphics board -
that didn't work either.

Safe mode is fine; right now there are no
display adapters or monitors in the hardware profile.

I've looked in the bootlog.txt - last message appears to be Init done=TSR Query.

I've done step-by-step load diagnostics; got to same point.

the only boards in now are the video board & sound board.

tried memory test - mem86(?) - seemed to be okay.

suggestions please - thanks !

Have you tried safe mode and/or can you get safe mode up? also check for power management software loading. possibly through the monitor.

safe mode is fine.

how could I check power settings through monitor (a samsung 75v ) PC repair shop could also not boot up (through their monitor I assume).

note.. before reloaded windows - system would work for about 1 - 2 minutes, then freeze. thought we might have a virus - that's why I reloaded win 98 - although we were up to date through norton anti virus.

As you are able to get it to run to in safe mode, have you looked at removing the monitor from the device list and then let Win98 found new hardware and install the drivers for the monitor.

the monitor (and display adapter) are currently not in the device list. (when tried replacing the video board; new hardware messge detected came up).

will try another monitor;
brought PC in to a repair shop; they also couldn't get win98 to start up. (They suggested reloading win98- which I'd already done; so I picked up the PC & brought it back home)

Have you tried Add new Hardware wizard and tell Win98 that it has a monitor and install the drivers?

to rob2806:
pc only works in safe mode; can't add hardware.
no monitor or display adapter in hardware profiles

Can you confirm that you can see the safe mode desktop? if you can then Windows has loaded the basic driver for the monitor.

I suspect that the problem is with your videocard. Are you able to put in an alternate to test it out.

yes, safe mode is fine.

I have replaced the video card (previous one was a Matrox Millenium II) - with an ATI Rage Pro 8mb one.

also another observation -
sometimes the PC won't boot pass this point:
(about 1 in 5 times)

ISA/PNP device listing
card dev DMA IRQ
1 0 1,5 5 audio

to this next (when it does boot):
Verifying PMI pool ...

I've tried using another monitor; same result - fine in safe mode; freezes in windows 98 startup.

My first question would be WHAT did you do different 3 weeks ago? A new Scanner? An 'update'? ?????

around 3 weeks ago: just windows 98 updates - 823559 & 819696 I believe. My son also updated AOL Instant Messenger; He also uninstalled it.
I reloaded AIM; it connected & I signed on - the PC would freeze after about 2 minutes of being booted up - regardless of what you did.

since then - have formatted hard drive & loaded win 98 SE - from CD. now freezes (after detecting new hardware)

how can i load drivers in safe mode ? No access to cd-rom for drivers - I have cds for the video card & monitor.

CMOS battery just died - maybe that's it !!

replaced cmos battery - same problem :-(

ok - after replaced cmos battery,
reformatted hard drive,
changed BIOS settings on PNP
put the (old) video board back in the first PCI slot where it originally was
reloaded windows 98 -

now seems to be okay [surprise] [smile]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back