Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CAN'T BOOT UP W/O WINDOWS DISK!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Mar 16, 2003
US
Hi forum,

i just built my first system from scratch and am pretty excited to get it going. For some reason i cannot boot into windows without it requiring me to put the windows disk into the cdrom. I have read a similar thread to this and the person fixed it by enabling the serial ata in the bios. i've checked, mine does not have that option. fyi, the os is working fine and i installed all the updates already. i have already switched the boot up sequence in the bios around many times, none worked. my bios has the option of enabling hdd-1 (harddrive 1) up to 3. even that i cannot understand why after SO many configurations this problem has not been solved. Can someone please help me with this please. i appreciate any help i can get on the subject ASAP. It's a very big annoyance to me. Thanks in advance. i have a ecs l4s8a2 motherboard with bios version 1b.

Did you make the EBD during install. If so, you could boot from it and force the system files onto the hard drive.

But you need to understand that this might force a windows reload.

You should be able to [F8] on bootup and see what is loading into the system. But from the description it sounds like the CD is still the active boot device. Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Yeah, I tend to agree that the CD ROM is being set as the active boot device.

Make sure that is not the case from Boot.ini.

Make sure Bios reflect the fact the boot sequence also allows booting off IDE devices. Try diabling all other boot devices other than HD.

Make sure the CD ROM is not your primary IDE0 device.

When you used fdisk to make your partitions did you make the partition that the OS is installed on "Active"?

Did you format/s this active partition?

small potatoes

Sorry i am new to all of this so bear with me. the first post mention EBD? not sure what that is and i cannot find the boot.ini files so can you guys walk me through this process? As for disabling all other ide devices besides my harddrive, when i boot up the bios sees the hd but after that it gives me the error "BOOT DISK ERROR, PLEASE ENTER SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER", at that point the only option i have in order for it to work is to put the cd rom in and choose load from hard disk, then it loads fine. I did make the c drive the active partition when i partition it so i'm really stuck here guys. so can you guys walk me through the steps in boot.ini and any other options you can think of. Thanks again

Ok people, i fixed it!!! Apparently even though it was a new motherboard the configs on the bios was not the default. don't know why i didn't try this before but i set it to fail safe defaults and it works fine now. Thanks for all the help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back