Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't boot up in new case... 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

proteusx

Programmer
Mar 21, 2005
US
I bought a new case for my computer and moved everything over, and now when I hook it up and hit the power switch, nothing happens except the blue LED fan on my power supply flashes for a moment (but doesnt spin up) and an LED on my motherboard lights up (marked cryptically in the mobo manual as LED1, and not mentioned at all).

I'm using the same cpu, power supply, motherboard, and peripherals. I wasn't sure which way to connect the 2 pin power switch, but I've since tried it both ways, and I get the same result either way.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

I know that none of the drives were touching the mobo, not sure about the i/o backplate though. my motherboard (right now) is kind of a p.o.s anyway, it's a SOYO SY-P4I865PE, here's a pic:

mobo.JPG

i've been planning on getting a new mobo soon, for the time being though ive moved everything back into the old case.

Looks like you grounded the M/B with the center brass post.
Or at least that would be my guess based on the pictures.

Can i ask why you would say that?
dont doubt your word, just wondering why, i cant say that, based on the pic.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Have you tried comparing the height, layout and pillar diameter of the standoffs in the new case with those in the original case? That may well show you where the problem lies...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

How could I, i have only seen the one case.

Garebo, my suggestion was directed to Proteusx, since he was the original poster of this thread...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Sorry, duh!!! or is it doh!!?

Garebo,
If you will look clesely you will see ground planes for the 6 embossed standouffs and the 2 corner holes for the brass posts. There is no groundplane for the location where the center post was mounted. In fact, it looks like the post probably was sitting under the primary IDE connector.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Hi all,

I 'kinda' agree with edfair... about removing the brass middle stand-off... but not with the explaination... I studied the pix and could not agree to the middle sticking on the IDE port...

so I would try removing the middle brass post and go from there...

but also, I've seen mobo's not post in a case at all, until CMOS was cleared (even though) they posted outside of the case...

Ben

If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer...

Quote from BadBigBen:

I 'kinda' agree with edfair... about removing the brass middle stand-off... but not with the explaination... I studied the pix and could not agree to the middle sticking on the IDE port...

Had me wondering as well, so i didnt respond, lol.

Mine is not the only possibility. But if you will draw an imaginary line between the corner mounts and another from the center hole to the edge where the center post would be you'll see that post would be about where the left side of the shroud is. And definitely not a place where you could tie the board down.
Since the earlier discussions concerned the possibilities of extra posts it would seem a no-brainer to put the concept together with the picture assuming you would rotate the mounting point photo 90 degrees clockwise.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Take a piece of paper and mark the posts (lay on case bottom and trace). Place mobo on paper and see where the posts are actually touching.

well, i've ordered a new mobo now, anyway, so as soon as it arrives, i'll try the venture again. i think i'm going to remove the brass standoffs and replace them with plastic ones, then secure the motherboard with just the embossed mounts.

really, thanks for all the help from everyone. i honestly appreciate it, and i hope i can come across someone here who *I* can help out :)

@proteusx - keep us posted about the new mobo...

@edfair - I compared the positions of the centre posts of all mounting points, drew a direct line between them, and examined the middle Brass Post to that line and they lined up nicely, then I viewed the pic of the Mobo and saw that the mounting points there aswell lined up nicely... on the mobo there is an extra mount point not used in the case...

but as you said it is a non-brainer at this stage of the development...

@garebo - we are all here to learn from one another... *G

Ben

If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer...

@garebo - we are all here to learn from one another... *G

Yes, and i try and do that in a polite way. This is a great place to learn. If i stay on here and read for 15 min i will always learn something new from you guys who have been around a lot longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back